Cross sibling rule for WGSG and WGSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
watford87

Cross sibling rule for WGSG and WGSB

Post by watford87 »

Draft rules for next year's intake include cross sibling rule:

http://www.watfordboys.org/index.php?op ... &Itemid=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WP

Re: Cross Sibling rule for WGSG and WGSB

Post by WP »

They are also re-instating priority for children of members of staff.
Daogroupie

Re: Cross sibling rule for WGSG and WGSB

Post by Daogroupie »

Bizarre! They take stuff away for a few years and then bring it back? DG
WP

Post by WP »

Daogroupie wrote:Bizarre! They take stuff away for a few years and then bring it back? DG
Because now they can - they didn't give it up willingly.
Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Had a feeling they would once they became an Academy. Currently have a DS at the boys and DD has just sat the test. So, feeling slightly frustrated, but trying to be positive.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

Red Dog wrote:Had a feeling they would once they became an Academy. Currently have a DS at the boys and DD has just sat the test. So, feeling slightly frustrated, but trying to be positive.

I hear you, I have opposite, dd in WGGS and waiting for results for ds to wgsb, very annoyed as I know some of the parents who called the adjudacators in and got the cross sibling policy removed in the first place. It was done on the basis they had a better chance to get their kids in by reducing the number of sibling placements. However it backfired. The extra places went to distance rule instead and meant that parents with diff sex children were disadvantaged compared with parents with single sex kids.

I resent having to do this twice but I did it with my eyes open, could have chosen different schools but ultimately the schools are excellent and worth the extra effort
Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

I do feel sorry for the schools because they were forced to withdraw the rule and I can understand - to a certain extent!- why those parents felt they had to do what they did (we all want the best for our DC), but it all seems so farcical now.
herty

Post by herty »

I'm very pleased they're changing back even though I don't plan to send my ds there! Nicer for families not to be separated.
Hera

Children of staff criterion at Watford Grammars

Post by Hera »

The proposed change to the admissions arrangements for the Watford Grammars may well mean that they never get down to allocating any sibling places for the schools. It relates to all staff, not just teachers and includes staff at both the girls and the boys schools. Could this not mean that out of the 125 community places they may only allocate down to number 3. So you get looked after children, the 10% living closest and then kids of staff. All siblings will have to apply under the exam criterion too? Am I reading this right?
WP

Re: Barnet Selective school exams for 2013 entry

Post by WP »

bel wrote:The proposed change to the admissions arrangements for the Watford Grammars may well mean that they never get down to allocating any sibling places for the schools. It relates to all staff, not just teachers and includes staff at both the girls and the boys schools. Could this not mean that out of the 125 community places they may only allocate down to number 3. So you get looked after children, the 10% living closest and then kids of staff. All siblings will have to apply under the exam criterion too? Am I reading this right?
That's possible in theory, but they had this criterion (chidren of permanent employees at either school) in their arrangements until 2007, and between 2004 (oldest data I have) and 2007 neither school admitted more than 5 children under this criterion in any year.