struggling with the wait and offer day/waiting list Qs

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lemondrop

struggling with the wait and offer day/waiting list Qs

Post by lemondrop »

Patience has never been one of my strengths, and now we've reached half-term I'm a complete twitching mess trying to contain myself for another two and half weeks.

I have talked myself through all the possible outcomes and am ready for d-day whatever the offer, but I just want to know...now!!! :? :shock: :? :x :oops:

This is also made worse by knowing that the primary schools find out before we do. That just annoys me. DC's school aren't even hiding the fact, they told me that they get the list about 2-3 days before offer day, but are able to look it up on the admissions website from 24th. There are only 2 children in the school who have the possibility of getting a selective place, my DD and a boy in the other year 6 class, and I know they are going to look it up and find out and not tell us. I rather resent them knowing before us, when they've done nothing to help or even support us through this process and I'm sure they'll attempt to take some credit if either or both children get offered selective schools.

Anyway, my rant is over - and I was wondering if any of you who've been through this process before could explain a bit about the process of the place allocation and the waiting list scenario, as there are a couple of things I'm not completely clear about.

My questions are:

1. For those of us who have applied online (most people I would imagine, but I have spoken to a couple of parents who submitted a paper application) do we get the actual school offer in an email or do we just get an email telling us it's ready and then we have to log in to e-admissions to find out? Am I right in thinking this is towards the end of the day on 1st March?

2. If DD is offered her 3rd choice, which is our fallback local comp, I know she is entitled to be on the waiting list for HBS whatever her rank and for Latymer if she is ranked in the first 50 after the initial place allocations. How will we be advised of (a) the fact she's on the waiting list and (b) her position on the waiting list? Does e-admissions tell us this, or will the individual schools write to tell us this, or do I have to phone/write to the schools and ask them?

Thank you :D
KS10

Re: struggling with the wait and offer day/waiting list Qs

Post by KS10 »

Hi LD,
As far as your 1st question is concerned, you get an email to tell you that you can log in to find out. That's what happened in Harrow 2 years ago anyway. As luck would have it, the postman arrived just as we received the delayed email. :lol:

DS was rejected by 1st choice school (Rickmansworth) but we received a letter from them (at the same time that we received all the other letters) telling us his position on the waiting list.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Thanks KS10 :D that's very helpful. I didn't realise that we get a letter as well as being able to log in to see the outcome online? That's good to know as well.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

This is also made worse by knowing that the primary schools find out before we do. That just annoys me. DC's school aren't even hiding the fact, they told me that they get the list about 2-3 days before offer day, but are able to look it up on the admissions website from 24th.

Hi

With regard to LD's post above, sorry - but I don't understand why the primary schools would know before the parents? Does this apply to certain boroughs only? I thought the results weren't released until 1st March at the earliest. :?

Harlequin
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

It has been discussed on the forum in the past, but I actually asked our primary school outright and they told me what I mentioned in my earlier post, that they get the list in the post about 2-3 days before the offer day and they can login online and see the allocations from 24th. Primary schools have a login to the system so that they can check that all their pupils who should have applied for secondary places have done so in the right way and at the right time, so no-one falls through the cracks. This seems perfectly reasonable to me. However, because they have this access, it also means that when the places are uploaded to the system in time for allocation day (and from a techie/logistics point of view this would have to be before the offers go out) the primary schools are able to see them if they login.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

I am also waiting for the day and watching the calendar nervously. As the emails are supposed to arrive later in the day; do I go to work or not...? How do I cope with not knowing and then telling DS if I know before him? I've even been dreaming about the fateful day; last night I dreamt I took the test (well we did, didn't we, by proxy) and a girl sat in the exam hall checking the answers on her lap top; I felt a rising wave of outrage...

But back to the topic in discussion; the head needs also to check that siblings have been accounted for eg. our 2 form entry school has 3 sets of twins in Y6 without older siblings. I think it's fair enough that any obvious anomalies are ironed out. Apparently this is the 1st (or possibly 2nd) year that the head teacher (SW Herts Consortium) also gets access to all 3 of our rankings rather than our allocation. I am not sure how useful this is to them (or us). In the past, I understand that the pep talk parents get at the beginning of Y6 made a few parents cry (basically the futility of going for some of the selective school places more distant to us such as Parmiters).

The school has prepared the children well; they worked through Susan Daughtrey VR papers as homework from midway Y5, they also had a timed VR mock under exam conditions in the hall and the results were standardised. In DS's class alone; at least half a dozen got 90%+; 2 got 98% and 1 got 99%. Perhaps this is a very strong cohort? I understand that this strategy is to make sure that the local kids get into the local schools - BM and Queens are the most popular.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Does anyone know any brilliant hacker :wink: May be we can log on to the site beforehand :twisted: .......empty mind is a devil's workshop....better make dinner....
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

vasu wrote:Does anyone know any brilliant hacker :wink: May be we can log on to the site beforehand :twisted: .......empty mind is a devil's workshop....better make dinner....
*snigger* :twisted: I like your thinking Vasu :wink: we just need the school login info....rummages in drawer for ninja outfit and torch...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

lemondrop wrote:
vasu wrote:Does anyone know any brilliant hacker :wink: May be we can log on to the site beforehand :twisted: .......empty mind is a devil's workshop....better make dinner....
*snigger* :twisted: I like your thinking Vasu :wink: we just need the school login info....rummages in drawer for ninja outfit and torch...

there was off course the amazing Birmingham glitch of a few years ago when people went onto the allocation site (2 days before March 1st) and it said something like "pending" - they then went to the "print preview" and it gave the allocations!!.... :oops: :oops: ahem they fixed it fairly quickly I think

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ilit=print" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

ooh I do like a good computer glitch - come on e-admissions, have a little problem like that next week please :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now