struggling with the wait and offer day/waiting list Qs

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lara228

Re: struggling with the wait and offer day/waiting list Qs

Post by lara228 »

Que sera sera

No difference knowing on 1 March or 31 March - there's nothing you can do about it now. Chill.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

It's not that I'm worried about the outcome, I will deal with it whatever it is, I'm just impatient to know now, I've waited long enough. I was like this when I was pregnant, I had to find out the gender, I couldn't wait 9 months for a surprise :lol: apart from my massive lazy streak, my lack of patience is my worst trait. DD is positively Zen compared to me.
mangomum

Post by mangomum »

lemondrop wrote:ooh I do like a good computer glitch - come on e-admissions, have a little problem like that next week please :lol: :lol:
Brace yourselves guys and gals as I'm bet there will be a computer glitch this year, though probably not in our favour! Why you ask? Because I am the person you shouldnt follow at the supermarket checkout, at passport control .....you know the song Ironic by Alanis Morrisette? My pessimistic side has now kicked in as I panic and try to put plan B, C and D in place.....just can't get this schools business out of my head....I really am losing the plot now....fingers and toes crossed for months now so no doubt will end up with DVT as I try logging onto e-admissions on 1st. March broadband will go down of course!
MangoMum
copella

Post by copella »

I feel absolutely desperate. Keep thinking of all scenarios. We moved and cannot access the online site and so need to wait for the post which feels even more agonising. I think DS will be Ok no matter because if he doesn't get into selectives he will either go with his big brother or with freinds, but there are some children in his class who did not take the exams but seem to take pleasure in making life uncomfortable for those who did not get through. If he desn't and one of them makes a remark I think it will take considerable restraint on my part to not say something to them and just smile. Roll on the 1st so that all this can be over (if not on waiting lists and then it will continue to drag) ohhhhhhhhh :(
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, I am afraid there are those who like to laugh at others. We were braced for five months of smug looks. We were not looking forward to the long walk upto the playground if we missed all three selectives we applied for, (which used up all our rankings) and were given the council allocation of the nearest undersubscribed school which has only been out of special measures three years. I also found the primary school knowing first very hard as the work was all done by us. I stayed in the playground away from the office and the classroom while they knew and I did not. I could not stand any pitying looks! Last year I was in tears looking at the faces of the children who had wanted so desperately to go and now knew they were not. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

It's all done and almost dusted by now. See the timetable for e-admisions.

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/schemesecondary2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck to every one.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
sonic1

Post by sonic1 »

Ooooh we were in this position last year, the wait is torturous but keep it to yourself. My son was in no way obsessing about it as I was. Distraction is the key. Allocation day is the worst. Luckily for us it turned out well and we got our first choice of school, but waiting for the email tested our nerves to the limit. Thankfully it came soon after 6pm but I do know people who waited for a couple of hours. Hang in there and good luck to all.
herbera

Post by herbera »

I've just realised I'm missing something here.... I thought we all got an email at 5pm, then struggled to get online as the system crashed... So they stagger the results to avoid this happening? My blood pressure will polish me off if I'm waiting for an email for a few hours - I'd rather be desperately trying to get onto the site. My confidence in the whole system is also limited, as three years ago, a friend got her letter saying her daughter hadn't got into her first choice, St. Michaels Catholic, but no reason was given why she didn't get in (ie. she didn't get through the exam) as per the other schools on her list eg DAO. She rang the school to find her daughter had got sufficient marks to get in - but the council had fluffed the alloction and she was given her local comp. Sorry to fuel the general worry/paranoia, but question everything!

Also, on a separate point, I also hate the way some state primary schools try to take the credit each year for their children getting into selectives. I sat through an irritating presentation in early Y6 about secondary entry, with our proud Head announcing its annual record re. their kids getting into selectives, yet I know the school does nothing to help its pupils on this path, with a couple of teachers positively biased against pupils they know are tutored (good thing they don't realise more than half have a tutor). Isthis common? :?
ritz667

Post by ritz667 »

The independant school exam results come out a few days before the state school ones, so if your ds or dd has passed these there is some sense of relief if your hoping to use independant schools as a back up plan

lots of good luck to all, as we were in the same position last year.

Ritz 667
lara228

Post by lara228 »

herbera wrote:
Also, on a separate point, I also hate the way some state primary schools try to take the credit each year for their children getting into selectives. I sat through an irritating presentation in early Y6 about secondary entry, with our proud Head announcing its annual record re. their kids getting into selectives, yet I know the school does nothing to help its pupils on this path, with a couple of teachers positively biased against pupils they know are tutored (good thing they don't realise more than half have a tutor). Isthis common? :?

Absolutely!!! Sat through two presentations by the Head regarding secondary school entry, proudly listing all the selective state/independents that the previous year 6 gained entry to - and also suggested that we look at an 'up and coming' state secondary in our borough - just out of special measures and in a really rough area!! I said that if the parent govenors (two have DCs in year 6) send their children there, I will seriously consider it - funny, bumped into the same parent govenors at all the indie exams we went to! School very proud that it is one of the top in the borough with regards to SATS results - because nearly all 90 year 5 & 6 children are tutored, some from year 3 onwards. Have become totally disallusioned with this experience - Head does absolutely nothing to help or encourage all the parents who are applying to selective state or independent schools but is delighted to bask in our glory.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now