Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 pm 

Its only now with in retrospect can I look back and remember when I was instructed by my parents to pass the 11+ test.

Come the day of the test and it was a cold winter morning. My dad was on holiday and I was transported to the test by a family friend. We went to an old school and taken into an equally cold classroom where we all sat down. The test started and I immediately felt the paper was more difficult than I had imagined, trying to work through new questions which were presented whilst at the same time keeping an eye on the clock. With half time approaching I was struggling at the 1/3 point and then suddenly a boy puts his hand up and says he is finished. Much to my amazement - he had even checked it!

I sort of knew at this stage I had failed! The results came out and whilst the kids in the class were opening letters of success, I had mine to look forward to on Saturday. I opened the letter and it was not the best news.

Forward a few years, and whilst I am determined to give my children better starts in their lives, I am more determined not to let one test leave a bitter taste.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:05 pm 

Just out of interest, is that by ensuring they are well prepared or by not letting them sit? Just wondering as you post can be read either way.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:56 am 

laretta wrote:
Just out of interest, is that by ensuring they are well prepared or by not letting them sit? Just wondering as you post can be read either way.

By being a little more prepared. I would like to think that the application of the emphasis is on the effort involved rather than the result...i.e. I would rather fail having given 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:13 am 

Absolutely

I Reminded my dd daily while she was doing her prep, that it was because she put in 100% effort, there could be no regrets whatever the outcome, but it would be awful in retrospect to think if only I had done more. Now it's less than 2 weeks and we will know.

Regards