Movement on Parmiters waiting list?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Luna

Re: Movement on Parmiters waiting list?

Post by Luna »

I have agreed with DS that we will take him off the waiting list for Parmiters after Easter, so if he does not get a place by then we will not stress any further. In the end we have chosen Queens as our second option for a reason (we both decided it would be the right school for him in case he does not get into Parmiters) and on the whole we do believe it is a great school, he is still hoping for Parmiters for the only reason that some of his friends are going there. We do want to enjoy the uniform buying, the excitement of a new school without the stress of "what if".

Ally knowing that your DS is in Queens can I ask how are the houses allocated? Also do you live in the area or does your child uses a bus to get there? Thank you!
tim

Post by tim »

Ally

thanks for this data very usefull.

Can you comment on what the " Sticky is" plus in the figures quoted below you talk about the cutoff moving by say 5 points in 2010 . Was that from 250 to 245 or did that mean list position ie to the 5th children on the list. As this was when each position on the list could be occupied by a number of children( 4 at each stage has been suggested) then they could mean different things.

As several others have commented on this site Parmeters admission have stated to me that the position now being given on the list is the actual childs position eg 10th is the child who is 10th on the list

Hope all that makes sense and helps anyone else trying to untangle the school selection setup

Tim

Ally wrote:Hi

Based upon the information in the Sticky for the Academic waiting list
In 2009 the cut off was 246 and moved down 2 points
In 2010 the cut off was 250 and moved down 5 points
Last year the cut off was 247 and moved down 6 points

Looks as if the cut of this year is 247

In previous years there has been multiple pupils in each position in the waiting list, but it looks as if this year it isn't the case.

In 2010, we started off at 10th ( with multiple pupils ) and ended up in 2nd position, so it can't have been based purely on pupils with the same mark. They actually offered 34 places off the waiting list to fill the 46 academic places.

This is just ONE example of how much the list can move and it will differ considerably from year to year.

Ally
maddad

Post by maddad »

The "Sticky" refers to the SW Herts consortium schools: admission statistics post at the top of this forum.

If you look under the Academic section at the scores in the "Mar" & "Sep" columns, that shows you the minimum score at those points in time (so at first allocation in March 2010, you needed 250 for a place, but by the start of the school year, children on the waiting list with 245 were being offered places).
Ally

Post by Ally »

tim wrote:Ally

As several others have commented on this site Parmeters admission have stated to me that the position now being given on the list is the actual childs position eg 10th is the child who is 10th on the list
Yes, it now appears that they changes their system, so if your 10th, your have 9 other pupils ahead of you on the waiting list.

You're unlike to hear anything for the next couple of weeks until everyone has to accepted / rejected their offers. Then they'll start to offer any places and hopefully people will then start to move up the waiting list.
aka

Post by aka »

The sticky for 2009 March scores is wrong - (I have posted about this before). My DS gained a place that year and I had an email to tell me that the lowest score to gain entry that year was 252 - the admissions lady said that it was the highest they had seen. My DS' friend got in a couple of months later of the CI list with a score of 247. This means that it dropped by 8 points that year so it is possible that it could happen again, although I doubt whether that would happen before Easter. It may be worth hanging in longer?
Wanner

Post by Wanner »

In view of the change in the way CI places have been numbered this year, I guess the question to ask the nice admissions lady is "how many places were offered on continued interest under the in-catchment academic criteria last year" rather than "what number did the CI list get down to last year" - presumably she would have that information?
Luna

Post by Luna »

Thank you all for all the info and support. We are abandoning now the waiting list "battle" as I had a chat with my DS and he decided he actually prefers Queens School to Parmiters and prefers to be taken of the waiting list. As we agree with that we will take him off the list tomorrow.

Good luck to all waiting for a place at Parmiters! I will keep an eye on this topic just to hear of your succes.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Luna

Please wait a bit before you make a decision one way or another about either staying on the waiting list or not. See how you and your DS feel once the list has started to move around Easter time. By then you have a better feel how the waiting list will work. IF you then do decide to stay on the waiting list it's because you truly want Parmiters.

You know I would love to see you and your DS at Queens, but you have the luxury of time so use it to your advantage and research both schools to remind yourself why you had them at 1st and 2nd choice.

I'll PM you tomorrow.

Ally
WP

Post by WP »

aka wrote:The sticky for 2009 March scores is wrong - (I have posted about this before). My DS gained a place that year and I had an email to tell me that the lowest score to gain entry that year was 252 - the admissions lady said that it was the highest they had seen. My DS' friend got in a couple of months later of the CI list with a score of 247.
Yes, they may have given me the figure for the time of writing (June) instead of the March figure I asked for. I've added a note.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow Ally, if 34 of the 46 academic places came off the waiting list, then all but 12 of those who were allocated Parmiters as their highest ranked school on March 1st turned it down! I guess that will be all those going to Habs and St Albans and Merchant Taylors and St Columbus who were merely using Parmiters as a backup. This should make those on the waiting list feel that there is a very real chance if they are high up enough. Luna PLEASE stay on the waiting list. Let your ds have the luxury of turning down a place at Parmiters. If you dont you will always wonder if you would have got in. You must have had a good reason for putting it first. Good luck to those who are waiting. As Ally said it is the most oversubscribed school in Herts so to be in the ball park is something to be very proud of. DG