Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:14 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Where one lives
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 pm
Posts: 2
Hi,

I am totally new to this and decided to post this as I cannot find the answer on the site.

I live in Pinner and what I'd like is for my daughter to go to WGS.

Does living in Pinner go against her, cos I'd be outside the catchment area?

Someone told me that her total score will be deducted by 20 because we live in Pinner. :?

Hope you can help

Pops :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where on lives
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8113
Never heard of scores being reduced!

here are the proposed admission criteria for next year:

http://www.watfordgrammarschoolforgirls ... tation.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where on lives
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:23 pm
Posts: 332
No, what i think you mean is that Pinner is in the outer catchment area, where scores to get in are higher than in the inner area - though not usually by as much as 20 points. See the sticky at the top of the page.

My dd is at WGGS and has a number of friends who live in Pinner. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where one lives
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:01 am
Posts: 60
We live in Pinner too, if I could change the past I'd move to WD post code, we're renting, it's easier for us. My DD is 17th on the academic waiting list and she has achieved higher score than kids from inner catchment area, no offence they also worked hard to get in to WGSs. I'm sure they all as bright and clever as my DD or even more:) But anyway this "little mistake" will cost us 13000 a year for the next five years at least:) So if you can move closer, do it. It will make your DD life easier also when she starts Y7 (I mean travelling time). And also my DD was qualified for Buckinghamshire grammar, from WD code we could get a place from Dr Challoner's high and I would be more than happy. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where one lives
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 8203
Location: Buckinghamshire
dreams wrote:
And also my DD was qualified for Buckinghamshire grammar, from WD code we could get a place from Dr Challoner's high and I would be more than happy. :lol:
I am sorry to say that it is very unlikely indeed that she will get a place at Challoners. As you can see here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles , the last time the school allocated beyond catchment was in 2008, and this year's allocation was only 6.069 miles within catchment.

She would however be allocated a place at Chesham Grammar School, which was once again "All Offered" and has vacant places for September.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where one lives
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 12
Just thought I would add my bit but a WD postcode does not secure a place at watford grammar. If you check a lot of the WD codes are in the outer catchment and yes as there are fewer spaces available to outer catchment the score does not go down as far. I live in Rickmansworth and my daughter is low on academic and music list but really has little chance of getting a place. If you are lucky enough to afford to move you need to be careful about where you move to and it is quite clear in the prospectus from WGG what postcodes are in the inner and outer catchment. The stickys are a very useful tool as they show quite clearly the score differences between the two areas. Also as Sally-Ann said even though I am only 4 miles from Dr Challoners High and my daughter scored a high mark over the 121 score in the bucks test she will not be considered for this school as there are children in the catchment area who scored over 121 and have not secured a place. I think there are a lot of dissappointed families out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where one lives
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:01 am
Posts: 60
Sally-Anne wrote:
dreams wrote:
And also my DD was qualified for Buckinghamshire grammar, from WD code we could get a place from Dr Challoner's high and I would be more than happy. :lol:
I am sorry to say that it is very unlikely indeed that she will get a place at Challoners. As you can see here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles , the last time the school allocated beyond catchment was in 2008, and this year's allocation was only 6.069 miles within catchment.

Dr Challoner’s HS (Girls) 2011 -IA to 8.447 mls, 2010 -IA to 7.090 mls, 2009 IA to 7.419 mls
WD17 9 - 5.8 miles away from Dr Challoner's school, and also in inner catchment area for WGSG, WD3 3AQ - 6.1 miles away from Dr Challoner's and also inner catchment area for WGSG.
???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where one lives
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:01 am
Posts: 60
Helpful wrote:
Just thought I would add my bit but a WD postcode does not secure a place at watford grammar. If you check a lot of the WD codes are in the outer catchment and yes as there are fewer spaces available to outer catchment the score does not go down as far. I live in Rickmansworth and my daughter is low on academic and music list but really has little chance of getting a place. If you are lucky enough to afford to move you need to be careful about where you move to and it is quite clear in the prospectus from WGG what postcodes are in the inner and outer catchment. The stickys are a very useful tool as they show quite clearly the score differences between the two areas. Also as Sally-Ann said even though I am only 4 miles from Dr Challoners High and my daughter scored a high mark over the 121 score in the bucks test she will not be considered for this school as there are children in the catchment area who scored over 121 and have not secured a place. I think there are a lot of dissappointed families out there.

Why if you live only 4 miles away from school????? And school offered places for kids living up to 6 miles away from school? I'm really missing smth :shock: :?:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where one lives
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 12
Link to catchment area for Challoners girls grammar, may help.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... r_2012.pdf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where one lives
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 am
Posts: 12
Sorry just seen your message - if you look at the catchment map we are out of catchment but somebody 6 miles away can be in catchment. I live in a no mans land for schools unless you score top marks for academic music or you want westfield which I admit is working very hard to show it can treat its academic students really well but its still not want I want for my DD. Also I am in WD3 and we are not in the inner catchment for WGG however much I wish I was.


As you probably all have read in WGGS prospectus.

The Rest of the Admission Area comprises postcode sectors (outer)
WD3 1, 4 to 9
WD4 8 and 9
WD5 0
WD6 3
WD7 7 and 8
HA3 6
HA5 1 to 5
HA6 1 to 3
HA7 3 and 4


Last edited by Helpful on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016