KS2 Maths tests vs. 11+ Maths

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RationalityRules

KS2 Maths tests vs. 11+ Maths

Post by RationalityRules »

Hello everyone

Does anyone know if the KS2 Maths SATS are suitable preparation for the SW Herts Consortium maths exam? I mean, are they similar in standard?

Thanks for any advice. RR
Daogroupie

Re: KS2 Maths tests vs. 11+ Maths

Post by Daogroupie »

A very apt day to be asking this question. Year Six children all over the country sat KS2 Maths Paper B this morning! Sats and 11 plus use the same maths syllabus. Everything in the Consortium exam will be in the KS2 Maths syllabus. But the Sats have to cater for Levels 3 to 5 and the government considers a Level 4 to be the standard Year 6 children should be leaving primary school with. So only the questions towards the end of the paper are Level 5 standard as there has to be enough easy questions to keep Level 3 and 4 children busy for 45 minutes. You can get half the questions wrong on the Sats Maths papers and still get a Level 4. On an eleven plus paper there will not be any Level 3 or 4 questions. So you can expect the same topics but at a higher level. I would be very surprised to hear of a dc gaining school entrance through eleven plus who did not get Level 5A in KS2 Maths Sats. So Sats maths papers would be good for early preparation,but if you are sitting in September you should be finding them too easy by now. DG
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The level 5 questions are spread through the paper rather than at the end DG
I would be very surprised to hear of a dc gaining school entrance through eleven plus who did not get Level 5A in KS2 Maths Sats
There have been cases and Y6 sats do not give sublevels on 3 , 4, 5
Hera

Post by Hera »

2 areas I was talking to someone else about was multplication and division of fractions and pythagoros. Do they need how to do these? Can't find either on the key stage 2 syllabus.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

As far as I understand from people sitting tests in previous years, the Consortium test covers all the KS2 material. Since the tests are at the beginning of Year 6, some topics will not have been covered in school at the time the tests are taken. As DG says, it seems some of the questions are also pitched at a higher level than the SATS.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

DD sat her maths KS2 SATS level 3-5 papers yesterday and today and found them to be far more straightforward than either of the 11+ exams she sat (HBS and Latymer) She has the level 6 paper next week which will probably be a bit more challenging.

She did say the harder questions were spread throughout the paper rather than clustered together.
doubletrouble2

Post by doubletrouble2 »

Yes my twins agree, the SAT's this year for them, were much easier than the 11+! interestingly we didn't do much prep for the 11+ and one passed (marginally) and one was unsuccessful! In practice SAT's maths though they have been getting between 97-99% and one still failed! Therefore I'd not personally use this as the only prep for your DS! I'd buy papers or try and get them online (here) especially relating to the area's your child will be sitting in the exam, check with the school(s) also look through this site there is so much information relating to the 11+ I found it too late unfortunately and under estimated how much prep some of these children get in the run up to it! So if you want to give them a good chance I'd use the specific papers!
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Yes, it makes you realise how low the bar has been set when all that is 'expected' is level 4.

For the Watford Consortium Exams you defintely won't need pythagoras. My children have no recollection of multiplication and division of fractions being in the paper but I would cover these at a simple level as part of becoming more comfortable in working with fractions. Obviously if you are also applying to grammar / private schools then multiplication and division of fractions often comes up.

Best papers to practice on for the Watford Consortium Maths Exam are Bond and NFER.
curlyching

Post by curlyching »

Multiplication and division of fractions are level 6 and Pythagoras is level 7, so shouldn't be on the 11+ paper or in level 3-5 SATs.

Hope that helps. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now