Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
faz

how many question types

Post by faz »

hi,
hope someone can help me, how many questions
types are there in moray house vr tests. And can anyone tell me what score seems
fairly good at this time as we only have 7-8 weeks as
am starting to panic nw.do they really need to be scoringin the 90s
with a chance of a grammar schl in watford.
Thanks in advance
RationalityRules

Re: how many question types

Post by RationalityRules »

Dear Faz

I'm replying as I hate to see your post unanswered! I'm afraid I don't know how many question types there are in the Moray House tests - my ds will be sitting the tests but I don't know if there's any way of finding out.

I think 85%+ is what we should all be aiming for, from reading hundreds of posts and speaking to many, many, many people who have sat the tests and got or not got places. Having said that, rumours abound that this year is a low birth year and that the pass rate required will not be as high as in years gone by. Who knows?

I wish you lots of luck in your preparations, and lots of happiness for you and your family whatever happens school-wise.

RR
BaldPeg

Post by BaldPeg »

Scores will also be affected by the fact that children are sitting the tests earlier than in previous years.

My son used the Bond papers as did his friends. He was scoring 85%-95% in the weeks leading up to the exam with the occasional 100% :D and the occasional 70s%! :shock: He was offered his first choice (Watford Grammar School for Boys) on allocation day.
herbera

Post by herbera »

I don't know whether this helps, but Dame Alice Owen uses Moray House VR papers and they cover all question types - they recommend Athey papers ( a graded set of 18 papers) as being the closest. My DD got a vg score last year and she said they weren't particularly hard - not as hard as the later Athey papers - and most similar to Letts papers, with extra codes questions and lots of IPS 'problem' Qs ( I think from memory they are the Type Z qs).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The issue is speed. The Moray papers are not hard but there are a lot of questions to cover in the timeframe. At this stage I would recommend doing papers from different publishers such as Walsh, Bright Sparks, The Tutors, IPS and Learning Labs. My dd's took six Moray VR exams between them and my elder dd commented that it was helpful to have had experience with different layouts and the questions being asked in a slightly different way. When she sat several students were caught out by sections that they thought were new types but were in the fact the same types they knew but the language used to describe them was slightly different. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

Hi everyone. This thread has thrown me a little; I was under the impression that DAO sit the Athey VR exams - is this not the case? I have not really come across the Moray House papers and having just done a quick amazon search they aren't really available anyway. I am not too worried as we are doing a good range of VY styles anyway but should I be pursuing the Moray House line in VR? and if so where would I source them?
TIA.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello Piggys, it sounds like you are already on the right track. DAO uses Moray House VR as does the Watford Consortium. Moray House papers are not available to buy though some tutors appear to have them. However this does not appear to give their students much of an advantage. I personally know several students who have obtained 100% in the DAO VR paper and I know for a fact they did not see a Moray House paper until they opened the one on their desk at DAO. DAO sell Athey papers as they are the closest to the Moray House style. Both my dd's and many other students I know have confirmed this year after year. A good range of publishers will help your dc deal with any differences in language between Moray and Athey, but I would recommend you finish off with Athey! DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now