2nd round music test results

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: 2nd Round Music Test Results

Post by Daogroupie »

I do not think the questions are informal chat at all. I think they are there to find out how interested in music the dc really is. As someone else said on this forum, dc's can get to high grades by being pushed. We know of dc's who get out of everything they can and only do music because their parents want them to. Then there are others who are really steeped in music and will make a fantastic contribution to any school who awards them a music place. It is really easy to work out which is which. I would recommend that your dc talks about the other instruments that you play and the orchestras and music days that you have been involved in. They will be able to work out really quickly how passionate your dc is about music. Both my dd's really enjoyed the experience and found the test panel very friendly. The staff really go out of their way to put the candidates at their ease and you get given a room to rehearse in and plenty of time to settle down. DG
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

appleina wrote:Hello
My daughter scored 53. I am overjoyed but well aware that this is just the first hurdle. She had intended to play piano (she's taking grade 3 in November) but last term started singing lessons and shockingly came third in her first competition and got a distinction in her first exam (grade 3). So her singing teacher thinks she should sing instead and I agree - and so does she! She also plays flute at school and just has the bronze medal thingy. My question is: it worth her taking her certificates with her to show what she can do or will they not be interested in that because it's all on the performance?
I wouldn't take certificates. Won't do any good. If she wants to sing, I think she should sing. Our DS - who plays various instruments but also sings a lot - got in on singing.
WatfordGirl

Post by WatfordGirl »

I've head that schools are desperate for musicians in their Orchestra's so playing instruments better than singing this year.
dragonfeet

Re: 2nd round music test results

Post by dragonfeet »

My dd told me afterwards, that she told the examiners that she is passionate about music!!

I yelled at her and said, "what did you tell them that for"!. I am convinced she will be penalised for such a genuine honest answer, that wasn't prompted by me, for fear she may not sound sincere. lol.

I apologised for yelling, afterwards.
DF
RationalityRules

Post by RationalityRules »

Hi everyone

Another plea for information - when do children/parents find out their score from the audition phase of the music entry? And does anyone know roughly what sort of score (out of the 45 available marks) has been required in the past to secure a place at any of the Consortium Schools?

Many thanks. RR.
WatfordGirl

Post by WatfordGirl »

I am assuming it will be on the 9th October when we receive the Academic results. Each school is publishing their stats on their websites most have them up now.
RationalityRules

Thank you WatfordGirl. RR.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

Good luck to all dc auditioning this week.
Just looked at Parmiters website and stats for the last 3 years are posted for both academic and music. Hopefully other schools are going to do the same so that we can all make informed decisions.
RationalityRules

Rickmansworth School have posted theirs too. Watford Boys don't seem to have posted anything yet, unfortunately. RR
daisyduke

Post by daisyduke »

If you have a look in the 2nd sticky at the top of the Herts section of the forum, under SW Herts Consortium admissions criteria, you'll find the scores for all consortium schools going back to 2005. It shows the lowest score they offered a place in March, and any movement between then and entry in Sept, for academic and music. Makes fascinating (and scary) reading! x