Querying Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
instantsunshine

Querying Results

Post by instantsunshine »

DDs results today OK overall but not what expected - much lower score in Maths than anticipated. Is there any way of requesting results are checked or otherwise finding out where on the paper she had "issues"? She was really confident after the tests. I am aware that DCs often do odd things on the day & blips occur but this was hugely out of character so for peace of mind I am prepared to pay to have it checked if there is a way of doing this. We were hoping for her to be one of top 2 OOC students for RS or to qualify for Parmitters OOC- the latter of which we are a couple of marks short of on historical data & so may be even more marks adrift this year. Don't worry - we have told her she has done v well (she did on VR!) so she has no idea - although she has asked me for her scores as friends have told her they are due today. Not sure what to do about this as she is very persistent! Looks like I'm actually seeking advice on 2 issues - any help gratefully received! :.)
RomaWhelan

Re: Querying Results

Post by RomaWhelan »

My DD also did not score as well on the Maths paper as expected. Did very well on VR. Don't know if this is a common theme as the same thing has happened to several of her friends.
strictlyfriends

Post by strictlyfriends »

Same story with my dc. I have played it down and told her she has done well etc. (I gave her the score) and she is distraught as she thought she had done extremely well. She is worried as what to say at school tomorrow. I have suggested telling them that I haven't told her the score as I don't want them to discuss it. I first said that she had nothing to be ashamed of as I thought she had done very well (unfortunately not true). Ultimately it will be her decision. I also want to look at her paper, I am sure the marking is correct but I am so shocked at how low it is for the maths I would like to see what happened, especially as she was so confident. Anyone know how I can get hold of the marked paper. I AM SO STRESSED NOW AS OUR OPTIONS ARE BLEEK.
Last edited by strictlyfriends on Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
maznaq

Post by maznaq »

I'm hearing the same all around. My daughter did extremely well in vr but maths was not what we expected. I've spoken to few parents who have said the same even though kids came bk from the exam saying maths was very easy! Would love to c their paper.
Last edited by maznaq on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairydog

Post by hairydog »

I'm so glad others have posted about this. My ds the same regarding maths. Predicted very high maths score as he had consistently scored 100% in practice papers and he felt pretty confident after the test. Scored very well on VR which tbh was a bit of a surprise. It has been going round in my mind too, should I ask for some feedback/check results or just accept that's how it was 'on the day'. Ds pretty upset about maths score despite all my reassurances I am very proud.
Does anyone know if historically there has been any way to check scores? Would we all be considered daft/deluded if we did?
thumbelina

Post by thumbelina »

how v strange. the same with us. maths is infact my dd strong point. she came out thinking that she hadnt got anything wrong on her maths paper which of course i said wasnt true :wink:

she did better on vr but really not sure what happened with the maths and she herself wants to see her maths paper. is this possible?
Last edited by thumbelina on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
watford

Post by watford »

Same here. Really disappointed with the maths result and DD came out saying it was easy! Something does not seem right.
I am glad others are in the same boat as I was very puzzled last night.
bigheadtodd

Post by bigheadtodd »

Wow, seems to be a trend emerging here. DD had exactly the same thing i.e. scored lower in Maths than expected, and higher in VR (in spite of VR being allegedly more difficult).

Having said that, her birthday is late in the year, so I'm sure standardisation had something to do with this.

I too would be interested to know if there is a way we can get these re-checked and/or get raw scores?
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

It may have something to do with the paper being easy. If it was then lots of children will have got high scores. This could mean, say, that the average standardised score of 100 equated to getting 44 out of 50. Each correct answer after this would give a big boost in standardised score. It wouldn't be exactly like this but to illustrate what I mean.

44/50 (88%) standardised score 100
47/50 (94%) standardised score 120
50/50 (100%) standardised score 141.

It may also mean that there was little or no difference in the average mark obtained by those born in September vs those born in August and so, unlike VR, the younger children wouldn't have received a higher standardised score for the same mark out of 50.

When my DC took the tests a couple of years ago the percentage correct answers was the same for both papers but the difference in the standardised scores was 15 (maths being 15 points lower than VR)
RationalityRules

Post by RationalityRules »

Our maths score was as expected, no cause for complaint, but we have also heard of several children whose maths scores were lower than expected. Perhaps a moderator can weigh in with advice on whether it's possible to get scores checked or papers re-marked, or to see children's papers? It seems likely that it's a question that's been asked before. RR
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now