QE A level cull

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moose

Re: QE A Level Voluntary Cull

Post by moose »

Daogroupie wrote:Are you seriously not allowed to do History and Geography at QE? Is it really one or the other? And is it the same for Art and Design? Any more nuggets like this to pass our way? The first fact alone would have stopped me taking a place if I had a ds. DG
Sorry I rushed my post . This was a general trend, but I would not get my head cut off for it. You definitely had to do one of the two Geography or History. Possibly you could have done two.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I assume they are just ensuring that their sixth formers will get A/A*, nothing else will do for QE.
As a point of reference for you:
To achieve an A* in Chemistry iGCSE last year, candidates needed 56%

56% is on the E/U borderline at AS Chemistry!

What they really want is boys who consistently get over 90% in GCSE tests to ensure success at A level!!

What a cruel, pressure cooker of a school :-(

Hopefully those 40 boys will move to schools who will nuture their talents rather than put them under unnecessary stress.
future

Post by future »

Cruel if one doesn't live up to their potential for whatever reason and don't make the required standard to progress to 6th form. It is not a bolt out of the blue on the last day of term. Their under performance is managed through the year with continual guidance and communication to parents. A friend of my DS had to leave to join a 6th form college because he wasn't allowed to take maths if he stayed on. He went to to get his A at the 6th form college and is now at LSE. My DS made the mark, stayed on and got his goals. The school is nowhere near the cruel reputation this thread suggests. It is a highly performing (if not the best) state school in the country and there are bound to be some who don't quite make that grade.
moose

Post by moose »

Bobmumof3 wrote:To achieve an A* in Chemistry iGCSE last year, candidates needed 56%

56% is on the E/U borderline at AS Chemistry!
Is it really? Is the jump from GCSEs to A level so high? Do you suggest that QE picked IGCSEs as it was easier to get good marks.
My son claims that he is better prepared for A level Chemistry course than other kids, who were doing normal GSCEs.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

For all science courses that is roughly the score needed to get an A*.

Hence why my poor Year 12s find term one of Alevel so demoralising :-(

But if students were already focused to achieve over 80% at GCSE to be allowed to do the subject at A level then success will come more easily.

Frankly students even with an A at GCSE will struggle to get a good grade at A level in the sciences.
moose

Post by moose »

Sorry, I did not understand. What score do you need to get an A*?
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Depending on the syllabus. But can vary from 50% at GCSE.

A at A level is 80-85% again depending on the year etc.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administrat ... rks-to-ums" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Biology paper 3 - you needed 36/60 to get an A* (90 UMS)

You can find out the marks needed on this converter.
moose

Post by moose »

Thank you.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

Hi,
just thought I'd point out that 90ums does not mean 90% if the raw mark.

the actual raw score is adjuster on an individual exam basis and varies from year to year..

have a look here

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_p ... E-2014.PDF

physics is usually a good one for low grade boundaries, and chemistry usually has high ones..
so on physics for some units an a* can be 69% of the raw mark, and in chemistry one of the units is 94%

hence if you ever look on student room you'll find lots of people hoping for low grade boundaries etc, and usually assuming if the exam was easy the grade boundaries will be high and visa versa.