Are tutors required for Eleven Plus?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tabasco

Re: Are tutors required for Eleven Plus?

Post by tabasco »

sbarnes wrote:thanks; I doubt very much that any child gets in a selective school without some form of 'tutoring'. Those that claim their child received no tutoring either do not know the definition of 'tutoring' or are being 'conservative' with the facts.
Absolutely, I totally agree with you on this point, sbarnes.

Also a DC need to be inspired be it by the parents, siblings, teachers or tutors apart from the guidance, curriculum and exam techniques that are required to do well in the 11+ exams.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

sbarnes wrote:thanks; I doubt very much that any child gets in a selective school without some form of 'tutoring'. Those that claim their child received no tutoring either do not know the definition of 'tutoring' or are being 'conservative' with the facts.

My son did. Last minute decision to enter him. Hadn't even done one practice paper! So, if you have a naturally clever DC it can be done! :D
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

and mine... :D
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

After all it all depends on how the parents feel. If they feel comfortable and secure that their DCs will get into a particular school there is no need for any outstanding state schools, prep schools, DIY or tutors. Let spend the money on a let say new car, kitchen, holidays or even a bigger house in a better location etc. Some people are more insecure than the others and even if they know that their DCs are clever or bright enough to pass the eleven plus. A selective grammar school is only suitable for DCs of certain level of academic ability. If they are than do whatever you can to assist and encourage them. Good Luck to all DCs who are preparing to sit for the eleven plus this Autumn :D
splash

Post by splash »

Absolutely agree with Tabasco. Tutors do help prepare.
From Splash :-)
dilli321

Post by dilli321 »

Thanks for everyone's comment...

@ piggys -- I don't expect Tutors or any others to work for free..but what i meant to say is not value for money .

I agree with @ Tabasco -- That all DC needs to be inspired be it by the parents, siblings, teachers or tutors apart from the guidance, curriculum and exam techniques that are required to do well in the 11+ exams.

Came across another article that top performing grammar schools is to scrap its entrance exam amid fears the 11-plus is being undermined by an “endemic” culture of tutoring.
--

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... lture.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I think if you read the article carefully it states that that school is now adopting the CEM type test; the one used by KE foundation in Birmingham for instance currently.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

In defence of tutors I would like to point out..

When I tutored , I charged £25 per hour, this was quite a bit less than I am paid for supply work. My hour's lesson didn't include the 15 mins or more I spent feeding back to parents.

For each hours lesson, I would spend on average, 2-4 hours preparing an individual lesson.

I had personal liability insurance to pay. I made games etc, which meant printing and laminating materials. I had to drive to my tutee's house which meant petrol and wear and tear. One year I made £700 profit!

As ever a good teacher makes it look effortless, what you see is the tip of the iceberg
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I'm beginning to wonder if what parents are actually wanting is more of a guide through the minefield - the schools are not scrapping tests but are moving goalposts and sowing rumours, making them more variable so harder to tutor for - a bewildered non-teacher parent has no idea which material to cover. The home tutorial publishing industry is cashing in on the uncertainty ( she says, looking at the teetering pile of workbooks, most barely touched).
mum1969

Post by mum1969 »

Another factor to bear in mind is the school the dc attends. Some schools help prepare children for selective exams others offer no support whatsoever. At my DDs' primary school the merest mention of selective exams elicits a blank stare and the subject is changed very quickly. There is even no advice on secondary transfer and no information given an the application process. The excuse given when I have tackled the school on this is that they can't be seen to favour one school over another. In my case I found a tutor who was able to give guidance as to what was required and provide support - it was definitely a team effort, I helped with areas I could while the tutor filled in the gaps. It was also very good for my DD to have someone other than me giving her encouragement which she certainly wasn't getting from her school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now