Does multiple birth rule apply between WBGS and WGGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
3b1g

Does multiple birth rule apply between WBGS and WGGS?

Post by 3b1g »

I have one boy at WBGS and another about to start in September. I also have B/G twins who are currently coming to the end of Y4.
I know that the boy twin should get a place at WBGS in September 2015 under (sibling) criterion 4.
The girl twin may get a WGGS place in September 2015 under (cross-sibling) criterion 5. However, I realise that there may be more applicants than places under this criterion.

I have just noticed this in the admissions arrangements for WGGS:
"It is the policy of the Governing Body to admit both (or all) sisters or brothers in the case of multiple births, provided that at least one of the siblings gains a place at one of the schools under any criterion and that the school is deemed appropriate for the educational needs of the additional child(ren). The additional place(s) will be counted as sibling admission"

I think this implies that boy twin's sibling place at WBGS would qualify girl twin for a sibling place at WGGS under (sibling) criterion 4.
Or have they just phrased it ambiguously?

There has only been one cohort of applicants since the cross-sibling rule was reintroduced, and I don't have a large pool of acquaintances with B/G twins to ask.
Kingfisher

Re: Does multiple birth rule apply between WBGS and WGGS?

Post by Kingfisher »

It certainly seems that both of your younger DC will get in but there s only one way to find out - call them up and ask.
WP

Post by WP »

You left out "Subject to note (ix)," (which says that ties for the last place are to be broken using distance). Surely it means that the girl twin will be admitted under the cross-sibling criterion, subject to the usual caveat about there being enough places. But that will already be the case with two older brothers in the boys' school.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I know someone this applied to this year just gone and I remember the discussion before the results came out and after a quick check here it is from the admissions criteria. Unless it changes you are guaranteed places for both:
It is the policy of the Governing Body to admit both (or all) sisters or brothers in the case of
multiple births, provided that at least one of the siblings gains a place at one of the schools
under any criterion and that the school is deemed appropriate for the educational needs of the
additional child(ren). The additional place(s) will be counted as sibling admission.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Thank you all; I will write to them or email in 2014, once the determined arrangements are made available for the current Y4.