Top 400 State Schools by A level results

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
decaff

Re: Top 400 State Schools by A level results

Post by decaff »

I totally agree with Guest. By the way AS marks have been worse than expected at some Herts consortium schools this year. I have friends with children at a number of schools in year 12 including my eldest DS. I now know several very dissappointed parents at moment. Yet schools never publish these. Thus many students leave before starting A2.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What is worse than expected? Are we talking C's or E's? DG
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

decaff wrote:By the way AS marks have been worse than expected at some Herts consortium schools this year.
Decaff, that is true in Bucks too, at least in the schools we know of (DS is in Y12 at a GS). Several of his friends have been invited to consider that their academic future may lay elsewhere, and many of them have received grades lower than they were predicted.
WP

Post by WP »

decaff wrote:By the way AS marks have been worse than expected at some Herts consortium schools this year. I have friends with children at a number of schools in year 12 including my eldest DS. I now know several very dissappointed parents at moment. Yet schools never publish these.
The Watford grammars, Parmiter's, Queens' and St Clement Danes publish both AS and A2 results. (as do DAO and QE)
tense

Post by tense »

I'm not surprised about Parmiter's. The school bends over backwards to accommodate & support existing students who want to stay on for sixth form (providing they are prepared to try their best of course!). But not everyone can be a A* student.

I hope Wonderwoman won't mind if I quote her wise words from another thread -

"A levels are only currency to the next step and that ALL A level results are useful. It would be good for schools (and us parents) to remember this instead of focus entirely on top grades and league tables".
new2me

Post by new2me »

tense wrote:A levels are only currency to the next step
This isn't always the case. Many leading corporates will not interview even 1st class honours graduates for their graduate entry scheme if they don't meet their minimum requirement for UCAS points.
tense

Post by tense »

Not everyone will work for a 'leading corporate'. Not everyone will get a 1st class degree. Not everyone will go to university.

That doesn't mean that they should be cast aside aged 16 just to benefit a school's league position.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Just to add that many top universities will accept BTEC level 3 courses. My friends DS to my surprise has just got in to Durham however he needed a number of distinctions to achieve this. He would never have achieved the A levels needed which for his course was AAB. So there are several routes in to higher education not just A Levels.