Athey Maths questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Middlesexmum

Athey Maths questions

Post by Middlesexmum »

Dd has been working through Athey maths papers in preparation for the Watford consortium exam in a couple of weeks.

I'm a little surprised at some of the questions. For example, there was a question about a number in base 4 (I didn't know how to do!). Also some estimation questions - how much does a brick weigh, how many ml in a teaspoon etc?

Are these sorts of questions likely to come up in the actual exam?
Daogroupie

Re: Athey Maths questions

Post by Daogroupie »

Watford states clearly that their paper is a KS2 Maths exam so you will not get anything like nth term, base 4, Pythagoras etc. The Athey Maths papers are harder than the Watford Maths paper. Estimating however is applied Maths which Mr Gove is very keen on and is an increasingly important part of KS2 Maths. Major companies such as Tesco have complained that students coming out of school appear to have very little idea about how to relate what they have learnt in Maths to the real world. As this is the whole point of learning it there is now a excellent focus on Maths that is actually part of daily life. Students should be able to translate weights and length and heights into real objects that surround them daily such as doors, cars, beds, tables, chairs, envelopes, paper, books and bricks. They should be able to read Bus and Train Timetables. The DAO Maths papers sold by the school use lots of real world questions. The timetable question is the actual schedule of a bus that goes to the school every morning. I would suggest testing dd on measurements of objects that she sees every day. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now