Gang culture at Watford Grammar School for Boys?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
K1w1mum

Gang culture at Watford Grammar School for Boys?

Post by K1w1mum »

I was wondering if anyone with a son would like to answer this question on http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/1 ... er%20forum?
I have a DD at WGSG but do have a son as well, and would really like to hear if there is any truth to this.
K1w1mum

Re: Gang culture at Watford Grammar School for Boys?

Post by K1w1mum »

Sorry I messed up the link, but if you click on it, it does work
Hera

Post by Hera »

My son started Watford boys on Tuesday and is loving it so far. I think this may relate to an issue they had 2 years agorelating to the now year 9s. I know a boy in that year and from what I have gleaned they had some problem kids, it was dealt with fairly swiftly with a couple of boys either being expelled or leaving.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

What a ridiculously muddled, somewhat hysterical thread from Mumsnet! No experience of WGSB but there have been problems in the past for lone school children having their phones taken from them in Cassiobury Park if they cut through on their way to the town centre after school (reported in the Watford Observer) - crime generally perpetrated by other young people.

The lessons to be learned are to tell DCs to be vigilant on their way journey home (new Y7s presumably would be more vulnerable), especially if taking short cuts. Probably more helpfully, the key is not to have an expensive, desirable smart phone - not to begin with at least.
decaff

Post by decaff »

I have no boys at WGSB however have been told by a older pupil that they have employed some security guards recently. This may be the case at all schools. But this child did also talk of some incidents occurring between pupils on the way home from school. Still I thought it was a fab school when I looked round last year.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

HenryVIII if you have no experience of the school how can you comment on whether there is a gang culture or not?

I live very close to the school (lived there for 8 years) and have seen a number of fights outside the met station and near the entrance to the park (cafe cha cha cha's). I drive past that way every day on school drop off and pick up. Not sure if it's fair to call them gang fights but there have certainly been a few incidents that have made me wonder if the rumours of bulling are true. As my children have not been involved I don't know the full facts though so the extent to which bulling is taking place is best advised by someone who has children attending the school. I do know of a number of people who have chosen Parameters over WGBS due to concerns over bulling though.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I have a son in the current Y9, as well as another who has just started Y7.

When DS1 started in September 2011, there was a small group of boys whose behaviour was unacceptable (fighting, vandalism etc). The initiator was excluded after being given second and third chances. The other boys in the group then began to integrate better into school life (one of them is in DS1's form).

DS1 did pick up a bit of gangsta slang, but it's superficial. However these boys speak when they are with their peers, they are perfectly capable of speaking in Standard English when appropriate, and the vast majority of them are hard-working and respectful.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

My DS has just started year 8 after an amazing year 7 at WBGS. He is small and not physical and has had no issues what so ever from bullies or threats. He does walk to a friends house after school but not across the park and there have been no issues there either. He will start walking back across the park this year so we will keep an eye on it of course.

I would not be concerned at all, the school is very keen on keeping good control of the pupils but it is worth knowing that WBGS is the school charged with taking some of the regions special needs kids so there are some with a different approach to learning.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Just wanted to add that DS1 experienced (non-physical) bullying in Y6 at his primary school, but has not been bullied once at WBGS, in two years of being there.

There is a hierarchy of the older boys over the younger boys (expecting to go through doors first, etc) but it isn't targeted at individual boys, more of a universal unofficial rule. This seems to peak in Y10/11. Presumably they have grown out of it by the sixth form.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now