Herts Consortium Email Received

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Queenie

Re: Herts Consortium Email Received

Post by Queenie »

To Brimoyuyu My 2 ds are at BM and very happy. If you want to apply for a tech place you need to put BM as first choice. He should get in also on band A, if not straight away. Not sure if you can apply for any other consortium school.
brimoyuyu

Post by brimoyuyu »

Thanks Quennie for your reply.

I understand that the top 25% scores will be in Band A but what is the difference between the different bands? Will they be later put in different classes per example according to their scores?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Queenie wrote:To Brimoyuyu My 2 ds are at BM and very happy. If you want to apply for a tech place you need to put BM as first choice. He should get in also on band A, if not straight away. Not sure if you can apply for any other consortium school.

As the schools are not allowed to know where you have ranked them on your CAF, the salient point is that you should rank your schools in your true order of preference. On Allocation Day, your LA will offer you a place at the school furthest up your list for which your DC qualifies. Each school which is willing to offer a place is still willing to offer it even if you have ranked it last on your CAF - you just won't be offered it by your LA if you qualify for a school / schools further up your list :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

I think posting individual scores is a good idea-it will give us a decent sample (albeit not random) from which to draw conclusions. It seems that the scores here are skewed to the high end. Is this because only parents who were reasonably happy with scores are posting? Or are scores overall higher this year?

My DD got 256
We are trying for WGGS and are in the outer catchment....fingers crossed
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

Middlesexmum wrote:The cutoff scores for Watford girls has risen by 2 or 3 points per year since 2011 according to their website. Is this a trend? Is it likely the cutoff will be yet higher again this year? There seems to be some amazingly high scores around.
In answer to you question Middlesexmum- I think the initial offer from WGGS has been consistent for the past three years. What has become higher is the final offer. I would think this means that more DDs are taking the test and therefore more DDs cluster around each score. I assume that the initial offer should be fairly consistent (they appear to be standardising across the years) but that the score for the final offer (i.e., how far they move down the list from initial offer) may not drop as much.

Scores on this site (working right to left from 2013):

- 229 | - 241 | - 239 | 244 244 | 256 255 | 256 254 | 253 245 | 254 247 | 252 250 | Watford Girls (outer)

:)
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

millean wrote:Also received an email. Got 258

All need to see what schools needed last year BUT remember may be different this year so no guarantees

Each school will just rank the academic places applied for by score - when they finish is when the ACTUAL cut off score is decided for each school.

That said, assuming the exams are similar standard as last year, cut offs shouldn't change that much.

Also, thought max was 280 - not sure where 282 coming from

I know of a DS who got 281 so 282 must be the maximum ...
hamscd

Post by hamscd »

Congrats 280 for DS is very high score.
hamscd

Post by hamscd »

To HA8 my son has just started SCD and initially we were disappointed because we were going for QE boys, but now have no regrets. The school is just brilliant and my son has fitted in so well. In the last 4 weeks we have seen him grow and have so much confidence. He has joined the school basketball and football team and also goes to the science club at lunch time and really enjoys it.
We live in Kenton so we have to leave the house at 6:45 in the morning and he has never complained about waking at 5.50. instead he is looking forward to school. I drop him every morning to carpenders park but he does come by himself using public transport.

There is a school bus from Carpenders Park or Bushey Station if that helps.

Hope this helps. If u follow my last yr thread I was not a happy bunny but everything happens for the best.
HertsQuery

Post by HertsQuery »

asldoc wrote:I think posting individual scores is a good idea-it will give us a decent sample (albeit not random) from which to draw conclusions. It seems that the scores here are skewed to the high end. Is this because only parents who were reasonably happy with scores are posting? Or are scores overall higher this year?

My DD got 256
We are trying for WGGS and are in the outer catchment....fingers crossed

I agree. We are all in the dark as to whether a particular score is "good enough" until March. All I've done with my son is to tell him he's done really well, and that we couldn't have asked any more of him but there are no guarantees.

I don't see this as a similar thread to the Bucks results thread, where a couple of parents have posted high scores despite knowing that this is totally irrelevant (in Bucks the pass Mark is 121 so it doesn't make any difference what Mark you achieve over and above 121).......now that would upset me if I had received disappointing news.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

To Brimoyuyu: BM streams (used to be 3 pathways, now 2) and sets from day 1 based on SATs & CATs. I wonder how much bearing the consortium score makes as anecdotally I know of a DC who scored much more than my DS but was placed in 3rd set based on yet more anecdotal info regarding SATs score of L5 maths/L4 English. I would recommend focusing on getting Level 5s and taking the CAT tests seriously when the invitation to take them in June/July arrives.

They set for English, maths, humanities, science, MFL. Drama, art, PSCHE are mixed groups. In the course of the first half term PE is set (2 groups). The DCs who have places via the technology test are/were invited to a summer school. I don't know much about it as DS qualified on distance (unusually on this forum he can actually walk to and from school :D ). Perhaps Queenie can comment?

We never had the choice of a distant vs a close school but in the past year have needed to fetch DS during the school day as he was unwell - how you do that 'just in case' should really be factored into your decision.

Are there no good schools in Edgeware/Middlesex? Or are they better in Herts?