Re-mark? Appeal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mon786

Re-mark? Appeal?

Post by mon786 »

Please can you advise if one can ask for a re-mark of Herts test. Bucks allows one to get raw scores, re-mark etc - but cannot see what to do for Herts????? Child's handwriting is poor and I am convinced that this will have affected the score - when did multiple choice test where not an issue, score very high.

Can you only ask for re-mark after allocation - if so, how?

Also, please advise on appeal process in Herts? Can someone point to the right forum as no doubt stated somewhere?

Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Re-mark? Appeal?

Post by hermanmunster »

there is general info about appeals here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mon786

Post by mon786 »

Thanks - but I cannot find any specific Herts related info.

Also, anyone know about re-mark of Herts test?????????????????????????
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Your best bet is to ask the school about their policy on remarks.

Herts school appeal information can be found here http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/edl ... ealpanels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and appeal statistics looks useful too. http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/edl ... pplstatic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
future

Post by future »

it mentions on the FAQ section of the website that remarks will not take place until after 1st March
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

You can ask for the raw score. Other parents on this forum have asked for the raw score and have been provided with that information.
mon786

Post by mon786 »

Can you confirm where it says re-marks can be obtained?

Also is there anyone out there who has successfully appealed to an oversubscribed school who can PM me with their advice on how to prepare an appeal and what to put in???? I find all the info so confusing on the websites.

I know I am being pessimistic but I would rather prepare now than have the rush to do so in a couple of weeks in March.

Many thanks
decaff

Post by decaff »

As far as I am aware it is Rickmansworth School who administer all the tests so I would ask Admissions there. I have never heard anybody successfully asking for a remark. I remember a parent on hear a few years ago asked to have her child's paper returned but was told this was not possible. I assume because the same tests are often re-used again in the future. I personally do not believe a remark would be allowed as I think consortium would be swamped with requests for re marks. However if you ask them then they can give you their reasons why.
The tests used are not multi - choice so practice using this format is not advised. Parents often feel very disappointed at their child's score, as often very very bright children do less well than expected. I know of at least one child this year whose mother was totally shocked at his score which was much lower than expected. Don't forget in maths you can lose 3 or 4 marks for each question marked wrong or left blank. This is where I think many children slip up especially if like my DS they rush and fail to check.
There is nothing wrong in starting to plan your appeal now rather than waiting until March. You need to think of your reasons why you want a particular school. Do you have any medical or social reasons? can you get any other professionals to back this up in writing. If you think your child under performed on the test you will need to get current school to provide current assessment marks I think these are called CATS and perhaps evidence that you child will sit level 6 SATs papers in May.
There are lots of members on here who can give good appeal advice. You don't say which school you want. Let us know how you get on and good luck.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sitting standard format tests needs a different approach to MC. It is best to separate out these exams and prepare for each one differently. Many students do badly in the Maths as it is easy so they rush and lose four marks for each question they get wrong. There are no remarks in Herts. I understand it is offered in Bucks but I have never heard of any Herts school doing this. No papers back, no remarks. Did you do any formal exam preparation such as the Sutton mocks to prepare your dc? I don't know of anyone who has won an appeal on academic grounds at a selective school in Herts or Barnet. So unless you have other grounds I would not get your hopes up. Probably best to focus on other alternatives. If you post a question in the appeals section you might be able to find others who have appealed in Herts. I know plenty but none successful on academic grounds. DG
mon786

Post by mon786 »

Thanks for the info, albeit depressing. What I don't understand is how Bucks can allow for papers to be remarked but Herts refuses - surely this is contrary to human rights?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now