Admission Process

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tofindout

Admission Process

Post by tofindout »

May I know if the admission process works as follows:

1. We send the completed SIF to the schools.
2. We submit the completed CAF online or send paper copy to the Local Authority (LA).
3. Do the schools send the dcs' names whose SIF they received to the LA?
4. Do the schools send the dcs' names whose marks are above the pass mark (those who are eligible to apply) to the LA?
5. The LA sends our dc names to the school we named as our first preference.
6. The school ranks the dcs according to their test scores.
7. The school sends the names of the dcs who failed to get in back to the LA.
8. The LA then sends these dcs' names to the school named as second preference.
so on and so on until a school is allocated (assuming the dc is allocated a school on his CAF).

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Mgnmum

Re: Admission Process

Post by Mgnmum »

not quite. the schools do not know how you ranked them at any point.
you submit your SIF to each school
you submit your CAF to LEA
schools rank each child on each admission criteria they have applied under bar distance ( that is calculated by lea) and send list of ranking to LEA
LEA ( well very large computer) runs each childs application separately
They look at all schools equally and see if you meet the admission criteria for that school
so if you apply for 3 schools for which you had high enough marks to be in the 100 ( and they have 100 academic places) then you will be offered your highest priority school.
they will then remove you from the list of schools number 2 and 3 and so the list will now go to rank 101 in those schools.
you can see why it takes from december to march to sort out!
future

Post by future »

I worked for an Inner London Education authority in 1989. Would you believe I was the only person responsible for 11+ (without a computer, email etc)?
I sorted all the forms and rankings manually and allocated places accordingly. In theory, how I sorted the forms was how the places were allocated! (it would only re re-visited) in case of an appeal. Distances were determined by rolling a device( bit like a pizza cutter) across a huge ordnance map on my wall. How open to mistakes and abuse was that system?
tofindout

Post by tofindout »

Thanks a lot for your replies. I have also called LEA and was told that it will send dcs' schools listed on the CAF to the schools at the same time. Prior to this, the schools will not send dcs' names to LEA just based on the SIFs or test scores.
mum1969

Post by mum1969 »

The LEA sends your dc's name to all the schools on your CAF. The schools rank all the dc's in order depending on their admission criteria using the SIF's - they do not know where you have put them on the CAF just that you have applied for that school. The ordered list is then sent back to the LEA who allocates the schools according to your preferences on the CAF.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

future = your description of the LEA admission's process made me smile :D :D - how quaint!

It still surprises me that parents believe that there is some complicated process behind the allocation - there is to a degree, but it's now all down to computer power. I was trying to remember the name of the BBC documentary series about the 11+ in Birmingham which illustrated it more clearly... once all the data is uploaded (and mostly the parents are helping to do this by completing their allocations online) literally the night before allocations day, they set the programme to 'GO' and voila! the next day the allocations appear. In Herts, the headteachers have the list beforehand to error check it (eg. in the case of twins or siblings, or that children haven't been missed off). Then we hear. Mercifully few real papers are actually exchanged!
tofindout

Post by tofindout »

Does LEA inform dc's primary school of which secondary school the child get allocated or finally goes to?
WP

Post by WP »

tofindout wrote:Does LEA inform dc's primary school of which secondary school the child get allocated or finally goes to?
Primary heads get the allocations of their children about a week before allocation day, but are sworn to secrecy.
tofindout

Post by tofindout »

Do you know why is it a week before allocation day? I read somewhere that it's for the primary head to help dc with appeal but how would the primary head knows which dc wants to appeal?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now