Getting into harrow state schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ClarkyT

Getting into harrow state schools

Post by ClarkyT »

What's the chances of getting into one of the better harrow schools like nower hill living in watford WD 19? Pretty slim I guess ?
Cutting42

Re: Getting into harrow state schools

Post by Cutting42 »

No Idea, but I went to Nower Hill 8)
future

Post by future »

Nower Hill is always oversubscribed. After Siblings etc, the few vacancies that remain are allocated on distance from home to school. Cut-off for these are less than a mile so highly unlikely, imo.
WP

Post by WP »

Harrow council have data on past allocations, including distance cutoffs, on their Secondary school admissions page. Nower Hill was 1.24 and 1.134 miles in the last two years. Park was a little less, Whitmore a shade more.
VH73

Post by VH73 »

I've heard it's quite hard to get into Nower Hill, you've got to live pretty close to have a realistic chance.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

I know of someone who changed their dd's school the year before entry into 2ndary school to one that was in Nower Hill's catchment area, and they got in, even though distance wise they lived quite far away and were quite near to Rooks Heath..

Steve
future

Post by future »

wise move to give Rooks Heath the 'swerve'
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

SteveDH wrote:I know of someone who changed their dd's school the year before entry into 2ndary school to one that was in Nower Hill's catchment area, and they got in, even though distance wise they lived quite far away and were quite near to Rooks Heath..

Steve
Did NH had feeder schools criteria before? Their current criteria seems to be siblings and then distance. With a catchment of a mile (and shrinking), one has to be living pretty close to this school to get a place on distance criteria.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

NH used to have feeder schools, but they changed the admission criteria 4-5 years ago. I know because we started at one of the feeder primary schools believing we'd have a place a NH if we wanted it :(
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

ahh, sorry, it was a while ago, at the same time our DD was moving to her secondary school, and this time next year our DD will be in University..