Watford grammar high scores.

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RomaWhelan

Watford grammar high scores.

Post by RomaWhelan »

I have been really taken aback by the exceptionally high cut off scores for both Watford grammars this year. In march 2013, the cut off score for girls grammar (inner) was 242. Jump a year to March 2014, and it is 252. My daughter was fortunate enough to gain a place at girls grammar with a score of 243, last year (inner). I wouldn't like to rate her chances this year with the same score!
My reason for posting, is that I am interested in hearing thoughts and viewpoints as to why this has happened. Is it a one off blip? Did we have a more able cohort of children this year? Or is it a reflection of an ever increasing birth rate, and increasing demand on secondary school places? Thoughts everyone?
decaff

Re: Watford grammar high scores.

Post by decaff »

Well we know that in Herts as a whole there were 500 more applicants for school places this year (Watford Observer). I am not sure if this also includes applicants from outside county. If not then number will be even higher. It could therefore simply be higher number of children applying/sitting exam which has pushed mark up. if this is true it is bad news for those applying next year and beyond as numbers are predicted to rise even further.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Extra numbers applying this year including out of county applicants is 746.
RomaWhelan

Post by RomaWhelan »

I agree with you decaff. And on reflection,all schools in the SW Herts consortium seem to have had this rise in cut off marks. Queens cut off this year for example is 226, as opposed to 218 in March 2013. Clement Danes is 252, as opposed to 243 last year.
I also found this link on Herts County Council website. This shows a steady increase year on year for demand for secondary school places. Tough competition for our children in the years ahead I think.

http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/m/risingdemand" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
decaff

Post by decaff »

So many very bright children this year. We should spare a thought for all those who have not achieved such high marks. I am so glad I went through this last year.
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

A dd at our school told our dd that she had a copy of the Moray House exam. :| So I am more suspicious and worry an actual test got out (they use a handful of exams over and over). This would certainly increase overall scores!
Since there is no way to prove it really - there is nothing to be done. I only post this because I am curious if anyone else heard similar stories?
Verymuddymummy

Post by Verymuddymummy »

asldoc, sadly I have heard this as well. Our maths tutor told me she had many calls from parents who wanted to know if she had a copy of the Moray House paper and would only use her if she had that paper as apparently others did have it.
ssym

Post by ssym »

Does any one know what is the highest score to get an offer in WGGS from Outer Catchment (Rest of the admission area)

If only a few of the candidates with a score of 259 got the offers and there are just 18 seats for outer catchment area, wondering what could be the difference between the highest score who managed to get in and the ones who could not.