Watford grammars siblings

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

decaff

Re: Watford grammars siblings

Post by decaff »

Local distance places at boys came out 250m. Cross siblings came out 6123m which is just under 4 miles. Girls took all cross siblings which could be considerably further.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

That seems fair, Mgnmum.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Thumbelina, this is very interesting. Have these points been extracted from actual statistics or observations. Only the reason I ask as is that this is not what I have experienced.

There are actually two primary schools close to the Boys Grammar - Chater and Cassiobury. My son and daughter go to Cassiobury. I moved there when my son was 2 and there was no cross sibling rule.

Looking at the class year 3 photo for my son, there are 13 girls and 15 boys. I don't have a class photo for my daughter (yr 1) to hand but, yes there are more boys but again only a couple more. However, this is similar to the balance between boys and girls at my DDs preschool which was located in Nascot wood.

A girl left my son's class at the beginning of the last half term and a new girl has started. She also has a younger brother in the school (yr 1).

Even before the cross sibling rule very few of the properties on the Cassiobury Estate would have fallen in to the 720 meter distance cut off.

I have a friend with two daughters at the Girls Grammar. They live in Watford Fields. However, they bought their house there quite some years before they had children.

I have another friend who lives just past Watford Fields. She has four children, two boys and two girls. The eldest is a boy (in yr 5) and three of the children go to Field primary (the fourth is a baby).

It would be interesting to see the statistics on this.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Do Ofsted reports state numbers of boys and girls in school?
asldoc

Post by asldoc »

decaff wrote:Do Ofsted reports state numbers of boys and girls in school?
You can get loads of information about schools including percentage of boys/girls on the new Ofsted Dashboard.
http://dashboard.ofsted.gov.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

I've just had a quick look, it only seems to give the total number of children attending. Mind you it was just a quick look so I could be wrong.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Thanks for that asldoc. It would appear that in 2013 Cassiobury Nursery and Infants had 46.9% girls and 50.2% girls in Cassiobury Juniors.
ajooba

Post by ajooba »

my problem with the cross-sibling rule is that it has dramatically decreased the distance places available. also, it makes the watford consortium schools a very appealing prospect for those outside Watford to target and move to the area for.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

What I can't understand is how the school can make the claim to allocate distance places:

Applicants whose permanent home address is nearest to the school and would not be allocated a place under any other criterion (19 places, 10% of the total admissions). See note (xii).

Then actually use those places to accommodate siblings or cross siblings. Surely this is just a blatant lie and one that is going to cost people dearly if they are buying properties to get a distance place. I think they can only make that claim if the sibling or cross sibling was actually within the closest 19 children who applied under the distance criteria. Surely, if anyone finds that less than 19 children were allocated a place purely on distance, then they have a solid case for an appeal (assuming that they themselves were looking to apply for a distance place).
WP

Post by WP »

noonynunu wrote:What I can't understand is how the school can make the claim to allocate distance places:

Applicants whose permanent home address is nearest to the school and would not be allocated a place under any other criterion (19 places, 10% of the total admissions). See note (xii).

Then actually use those places to accommodate siblings or cross siblings.
What makes you think they give those places to siblings?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now