Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:07 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:30 am 
What is the average voluntary contribution asked at most grammar schools, I hear some schools ask as much as £300.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:43 am 
£300 sounds a bargain - I think St Michaels holds the record £500 - 2000
they have a building program. Whatever they ask and it is your children while at school who will benefit first it should be set against the cost of securing the same education privately £9-15000 pounds.
Its a little over a fiver a week - make it a covenant and they can reclaim the tax - I mean it's easy to be horrified because its the state sector but to be honest its mock horror.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:07 pm
Posts: 1149
Location: Finchley - Barnet
Quote:
£300 sounds a bargain - I think St Michaels holds the record £500 - 2000
they have a building program. Whatever they ask and it is your children while at school who will benefit first it should be set against the cost of securing the same education privately £9-15000 pounds.
Its a little over a fiver a week - make it a covenant and they can reclaim the tax - I mean it's easy to be horrified because its the state sector but to be honest its mock horror.


QEB asks for a covenant of £60/month or else as much as a family can afford. Given what they have build in the last few years, it is true value for money!

_________________
sj355


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:32 am 
Watford Boys asks for £30/month. However it is vountary and there is no obligation to pay.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:24 am 
Stig wrote:
Watford Boys asks for £30/month. However it is vountary and there is no obligation to pay.

Indeed, compulsory contributions would be illegal. There is an obligation (or at least pressure) to return the form, though.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:46 pm 
My child school asks for compulsary contibutons. Where could I find the text of the legal document that refers to contributions, please WP?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:19 pm 
Imogen wrote:
My child school asks for compulsary contibutons. Where could I find the text of the legal document that refers to contributions, please WP?

Sections 449-462 of the Education Act 1996 list the prohibitions and specific exemptions. It's convoluted language, but it essentially prohibits asking for contributions for normal education (s451) unless it is made clear that the contributions are voluntary (s460). There are exemptions for individual or small group music tuition, out-of-hours trips beyond the curriculum, etc.

Have they put this in writing?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:58 pm 
At our Bucks grammar the suggested contribution has just been raised from £60pa - at which I understand it has stood for several years - to £75pa. It is voluntary and, in practice, I have no idea how many give and how much.

The facilities are excellent and there is a constant programme of improvements.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:52 pm 
they are attemtptng to raise them at qe from 50 a month to 70


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:22 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Barnet
But I think even if it is raised to £70/£75 per month, its still excellent for what education/facilities the boys are exposed to at QE in comparison to to the independent schools and the fees paid there.. The contributions are being put to good use and for anyone in doubt, just attend the AGM and you'll hear for yourself!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016