Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:46 am 

Hi, a new parent at school is asking which driving test centre is better? Uxbridge or Watford?
Thanks in advance!
8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:21 pm 

apr022013 wrote:
Hi, a new parent at school is asking which driving test centre is better? Uxbridge or Watford?
Thanks in advance!
8)

I would say it depends on which area they know best. If they know both areas well and have taken lessons on both routes then I would say which ever one they can get a booking date that fits with their availability.

Given the pressure of driving under test conditions, I wouldn't suggest that they do it on roads they are completely unfamiliar with.

If they are asking this question in relation to whether one of these options will present less of a challenge due to road layout, congestion etc. It would be hard to say as there is more than one test route that the examiner can take.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:48 pm 

The test rate passes by centre are available. It's about 49-52% everywhere from what I remember, so little difference. I would say go with what the learner is familiar with - Uxbridge & Watford aren't very close so someone us unlikely to be that familiar with both - you certainly wouldn't go to Uxbridge from Watford for a lesson, for example, it would take too long. Presumably you live between the two? Back in the dark ages there was a test centre in Ruislip - don't know if there still is?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:51 pm 

scary mum wrote:
The test rate passes by centre are available. It's about 49-52% everywhere from what I remember, so little difference.

Not quite. In Kyle of Lochalsh it is 72%. :wink:

There are quite a few remote areas where the pass rate is significantly higher than in the Home Counties. As long as you can spot a sheep at 30 paces, there's not much else that can go wrong during a test in those places!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:55 pm 

Sally-Anne wrote:
scary mum wrote:
The test rate passes by centre are available. It's about 49-52% everywhere from what I remember, so little difference.

Not quite. In Kyle of Lochalsh it is 72%. :wink:

There are quite a few remote areas where the pass rate is significantly higher than in the Home Counties. As long as you can spot a sheep at 30 paces, there's not much else that can go wrong during a test in those places!

It's a bit far to go to Kyle of Lochalsh - although maybe it would be worth it for DD...<runs off to see how long it would take to drive there>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:19 pm 

I was told Kyle would be a :lol: little too far. the mum is in Pinner. I think it's better taking lessons closer to a test centre. Is that reasonable?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:14 pm 

Ah, yes, bang in the middle. Go with whatever the instructor is more comfortable with, then.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:38 am 

OK. better use a coin :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:21 pm 

I just did a search out of curiosity to see if there was still a Ruislip test centre and there appears to be one in Pinner. Surely that would be best for your friend?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:25 pm 

I took my driving test in Wimbledon during the tennis (can't remember the exact test centre) - consequently I was assessed on my ability to sit in traffic, which at the risk of sounding immodest I was jolly good at! Saved me a trip to Kyle of Lochalsh anyway!