Watford grammar boys music test

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aai72

Watford grammar boys music test

Post by aai72 »

Hi
Is anyone aware of the music test for Watford grammar schools?
My DS hs done grade 4 in piano and grade 2 in clarinet, but then heard from someone that they have a very differnet tests? A candidate has to listen to some CD and answer the questions?

Any help on that?
Hera

Re: Watford grammar boys music test

Post by Hera »

Click on the link to a really helpful thread which will tell you everything that you need to know.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=25621" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is the CEM section, you need to post this in the Herts section. The first round is an aural test and only those who get through in the 80% then get invited for audition. Both my dds went for audition which are all held at the Watford school of music. DG
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I've moved this to Herts.
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

your child's music grade is irrelevant to the 1st stage of the test. It consists of a sitting in a room with a large number of other children being played an old recording of synthetic music. There are several different tests consisting of telling whether a second note is higher or lower than the first, how many notes are in a cord, whether a second series of notes is the same or different to the first. It is aimed to pick up those with good musical hearing rather than those who have been taught, so if your child has any hearing problems forget it ( Evelyn Glennie would have def failed!) From those I know who have sat it there have been those who have not got through to 2nd round who are very musical and those who are not musical at all who have sailed through.
The 2nd stage consists of an audition. you do not have to be at any particular grade, you do not even have to have learnt a musical instrument. you can sing, you can play recorder, you can do what ever you want.
Again they are looking for musicality rather than achievement.

The thing that annoys a lot of parents is that even if you get in via the music route you are not required to do anything musical at the school you get in to. It is just another chance of getting into the school so it is worth sitting whatever your musical background.