PE @ Parmiter's

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nearlytimetopanic

PE @ Parmiter's

Post by Nearlytimetopanic »

I have a few queries about PE at Parmiter's that I'm hoping anyone with DDs at the school might be able to help with..

Do the girls need/use everything on the PE kit list? I'm particularly wondering about football boots and towel. (i.e. do the girls do football or hockey in yr 7 & do they have showers after lessons?)

Where do they leave school bags, blazer & clothes...on a peg or do they use lockers?

I've been told that boys can get a ribbing for wearing skimpy briefs instead of boxer shorts... is there an equivalent no-no for girls? DD has never worn vests & won't need a bra any time soon. I'm wondering whether I need to get some crop tops even if I can only persuade her to wear one on PE days.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
2g2c

Re: PE @ Parmiter's

Post by 2g2c »

My DD is going into yr8 at Parmiter's so can answer these for you.

No towel required, they barely get time to get changed never mind shower!
Football boots... Daughter never used them as football and hockey were on the astro turf pitches.
All clothing, blazers, bags etc, are locked in the changing rooms during the lessons.

The lockers for year 7 are next to the dining room and they can only be accessed at certain times, before school, break time, lunch time and after school not between lessons! These have to be booked from an outside company and cost £22/ year. My dd kept her PE kit in it and a spare pencil case. Worth getting so they don't have to carry PE kit round all day, some end up putting it down somewhere and forgetting it!!!

my DD suggests it would be better to wear crop tops...to save embarrassment :oops:

Hope this helps a little
Nearlytimetopanic

Hi 2g2c

Thank you so much for replying & also to your daughter for the information - it's a big help. I've booked a locker for her and was going to suggest keeping PE kit in it, though I'll need to remind her to bring it home for washing! I hadn't thought of putting spare equipment in though, which is a great idea.

I'll get her some crop tops instead of football boots! That must've been annoying, buying boots that weren't needed...if they don't play on grass pitches in lessons, maybe the list should say that they're only needed if in a school team.

Thanks again - I know DD is excited about starting but also really nervous so I'm just trying to get everything sorted now & avoid a mad rush in a few weeks time!
2g2c

Post by 2g2c »

Luckily she already had football boots at her primary school! But you defiantly need gum shield and shin pads!
The next few weeks will certainly flyby, I remember being in your shoes this time last year!
DD also imparts a few more words of wisdom:
Don't worry about making friends, you will!
The teachers are really nice, don't be afraid to ask them things.
Lunchtimes are very busy, be prepared for queues after first week of early y7 only lunches!
Make sure you know where all the toilets are (big tip apparently!) :roll:
Nearlytimetopanic

Hi 2g2c - Thanks again. I've got the gum shield & shinpads...I think it's just general stationery & art things left now! I'll pass on your DD's tips - she sounds lovely, wanting to help a newbie! One of the things that stood out for us, when we visited on the Open days, was how friendly & helpful everyone was & you've both reinforced that view.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Hi there, DD will be in Year 8 too. She wore an ordinary vest last year and no one teased her. It could be that she was with girls who didn't really care about what she wore. Who knows? Towards the end of the year, I got her some bras but she still wore the vest on top.

DD had a locker too but hardly ever used it. In fact, she let her friend use it instead. Guess who lost her PE kit in the summer term! :roll: I would stress to her that it might seem a pain to keep going back and forth to her locker but tell her it's better than the alternative. Just need to convince my DD now.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Hi nearlytimetopanic,

Different school but last year in year 7 my DD wanted to wear something under her blouse and we found a good range of simple but nicely made crop tops/flat bras in the children's clothes section at M&S. When your DD starts to develop there is also a very pretty teen range of bras at M&S called Angel, in the actual lingerie department.

I hope everyone's daughters really enjoy year 7. It's such an exciting time for them all.

Peridot
Nearlytimetopanic

Hi KS10 & Peridot,

Thanks for your replies. We've been shopping & bought some of the crop tops from M&S. She preferred the white, sports style ones in a nice stretchy fabric but there was a good selection available. (Thanks for the tip, Peridot)

I hope your DD's PE kit turned up eventually KS10. I can see mine losing her things too or, more likely, the key to the locker....I need to find a suitable lanyard or maybe I should just attach it to elastic sewn in her blazer, like a toddler's mittens! :wink:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Nearlytimetopanic wrote:Hi KS10 & Peridot,

Thanks for your replies. We've been shopping & bought some of the crop tops from M&S. She preferred the white, sports style ones in a nice stretchy fabric but there was a good selection available. (Thanks for the tip, Peridot)

I hope your DD's PE kit turned up eventually KS10. I can see mine losing her things too or, more likely, the key to the locker....I need to find a suitable lanyard or maybe I should just attach it to elastic sewn in her blazer, like a toddler's mittens! :wink:
You can get a spare locker key. Can't remember if that was extra or not. Probably was. A lanyard is a good idea. DD's house keys and memory stick are on it.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Nearlytimetopanic wrote:
We've been shopping & bought some of the crop tops from M&S. She preferred the white, sports style ones in a nice stretchy fabric but there was a good selection available. (Thanks for the tip, Peridot)
Oh good - I'm really glad she liked them. The ones we've had are good quality and wash well - much better than equivalent from Primark, for example.