Is it possible to get 2 offers from your choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sutu123

Is it possible to get 2 offers from your choice

Post by sutu123 »

Hi, Can someone with experience clear my head please. My son has scored decent marks for QE, reading this forum I am optimistic about it. But we liked Watford boys as well. My question is " if " my boy scores enough for Herts, we will put QE as our first and Watford boys as our second in CAF form. My question is can you get offer from both schools, will the council give?
Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Is it possible to get 2 offers from your choice

Post by hermanmunster »

simple answer is no.

You only get one offer so make sure that the one at the top of the list is the one you really want...
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

No, if you were ranked high enough for both schools to be able to give you an offer, you will only get an offer from your higher choice school.

If you change your mind then you can apply for the waitlist of the other school, in the hope that there will be people who reject their places there after National Offer Day.
aman

Post by aman »

Theoretically speaking, you get ur 1st choice as I have always heard. However for my son we got offers from our 1st n second choice both on march 1. on asking council said that some schools had the independence if they really wanted the candidate based on their scores.

To be safe, I would still stick to carefully selecting the choice on caf as my experience was pleasant but
quite strange.
fiate2000

Post by fiate2000 »

You have to be very careful if you change your mind after you are allocated your #1 choice. I understand if you want to join the waiting list for #2 school, you will have to decline the offer for #1. If things do not go your way for #2, you may end up with no school at all.

So put your true preference in CAF.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

As Hermanmunster & Ladymuck mentioned, you would get one offer only on National Allocation day from your LA. All state schools are part of coordinated admission arrangements of their LA and LA makes the offer. The other schools could only advise you that you could have got the place if you wanted and if you would want to go on their waiting list. Few schools do that, HBS is quite well known for trying to vow their high rankers.

You can accept the original offer and still go on the waiting list for your other choice, if you have changed your mind. You don't have to decline the first offer. In fact, you should not decline it as you could end up with no school or school you never wanted.

When you become eligible for your second choice, some LA will ask you again before making offer. At this time, you can choose to keep your original offer or accept the new offer. Some other LAs would cancel the original offer automatically without reconfirmation and allocate you your second choice.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which schools are you applying for aman? Your council would have removed all but one offer. If QE contacted you and told you that your mark was good enough for a place that is not the offer of a place. It is a recommendation to apply. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Daogroupie wrote:Which schools are you applying for aman? Your council would have removed all but one offer. If QE contacted you and told you that your mark was good enough for a place that is not the offer of a place. It is a recommendation to apply. DG

Also sometimes people get contacted when their child has done well at the second place school but they have been offered a place at the first. this again is not an offer of a place but usually an offer to be put on the waiting list!