SCD admissions help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TLC11

SCD admissions help please

Post by TLC11 »

Hello all,

I'm over the border in Bucks but considering SCD as an option for my DS. Could anyone give me some information on how likely it would be for my DS to get a place, based on academic score and distance? How could we prepare for the exam? What is in the papers?

Sorry this is all very sketchy, but any information would be great. Thank you.
3b1g

Re: SCD admissions help please

Post by 3b1g »

If you live within 3km then your child might get a place under the distance criterion, depending on the cohort applying in that particular year.

If you'd like your child to apply for an academic place, the registration for the test is in the summer term of Y5. The test itself takes place in the September of Y6. There are two papers: 50 Maths questions in 50 minutes; and 100 verbal reasoning questions in 45 minutes.

Two of my children have done the test, but applied to other schools, so I am unable to answer specific questions about SCD. I suggest you look at the school website and read the admissions arrangements carefully.
decaff

Post by decaff »

You will only qualify under music or academia as distance places are only offered to those in WD3 area so even if you live close to boarder you will not be considered under distance. If you look at admissions sticky on top of page (its 3rd one down) you will see academic scores and music scores needed to get a place for past years so once your Ds has sat the exams you can then make a decision once you know your scores. As said above by 3b1g you will need to register to sit exam in June. I assume that you will also be sitting Bucks 11+. I would hazard a guess that those scoring high enough for SCD would also pass Bucks 11+ Sally Ann in the Bucks section of this forum would be able to tell you this. However perhaps you are looking for SCD as a friend of mine did with her eldest who lived in Bucks with her younger less academic siblings needs in mind.
decaff

Post by decaff »

TLC11 forgot to say also look at frequently asked questions sticky at top which explains SW Herts exams format which I gather are different to Bucks 11+.
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Thank you for all.your very helpful replies.

I'm considering SCD for DS as, while he is a clever boy, favours the extra curricular aspects of school rather than the academic side. He is very talented in sport, but an excellent musician too. Academically he is doing well enough to suggest he may pass the Bucks 11plus.

I have a DD already at grammar and I have noticed how pushy they can be academically. While this is great for my book worm academic daughter, I feel it may overwhelm my sporty and musical son. If he passed the Bucks 11plus I'm not entirely convinced a grammar environment would be right for him. Equally, I'm not sure about the local comp either.

SCD seems to be a nice 'in the middle' option.
mon786

Post by mon786 »

I think the information above is incorrect - anyone can get in on music and academic 10% to SCD as there is NO distance rule. I know as there are kids who live in Ruislip, Pinner, Harrow, Chesham, Missenden etc all of who got in that way.

Distance alone is WD3 first.
decaff

Post by decaff »

The information above does say no catchment for academia or music only distance places will be WD3.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now