SW Herts music results - post here

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
3b1g

Re: SW Herts music results - post here

Post by 3b1g »

I can only comment on WBGS: the top 25% are exceptionally able, but there is still a large number of children of varying ability. Taking the 8 Maths sets as an example: sets 1 & 2 are full of highly able children (easily achieved L6 at the end of primary). Sets 3 & 4 are full of able children (strong L5 at the end of primary). Sets 5 to 7 are full of children of average ability. Set 8 is for children who struggle with Maths and need extra support.

We have applied to WGGS for DD under non-academic criteria only. She is academically slightly above average but not much.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

3b1g wrote:I can only comment on WBGS: the top 25% are exceptionally able, but there is still a large number of children of varying ability.
The DfE stats suggest otherwise:

WBGS:

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... urn=136276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

High attainers (above SATs L4): 80% (131 children)
Medium attainers (SATs L4): 18% (29 children)
Low attainers (below SATs L4): 2% (4 children)

Parmiters:

http://www.education.gov.uk/cgi-bin/sch ... urn=136899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

High attainers (above SATs L4): 73% (133 children)
Medium attainers (SATs L4): 25% (46 children)
Low attainers (below SATs L4): 2% (4 children)

I wonder if the school's own assessments on entry into the school give a different picture?
Mgnmum

Post by Mgnmum »

i think that although level 4 is the published level expected at end of year 6 most primary schools, certainly locally are aiming for all children to be level 5 and the top 10% to be level 6
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

That data has lumped exceptionally able children, able children and slightly above average children into one category labelled 'high attainers'. I stand by the information I gave in my previous comment, which I think is more useful to parents of potential pupils.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Mgnmum wrote:i think that although level 4 is the published level expected at end of year 6 most primary schools, certainly locally are aiming for all children to be level 5 and the top 10% to be level 6
Some of the 2013 SATs results for local primary schools as given on the DfE schools performance tables (no figures are given for L6):

Nascot Wood: Percentage achieving level 5 or above in reading, writing and maths: 58%
Fields: Percentage achieving level 5 or above in reading, writing and maths: 48%
Cassiobury: Percentage achieving level 5 or above in reading, writing and maths: 41%
Coates Way: Percentage achieving level 5 or above in reading, writing and maths: 35%
Holy Rood: Percentage achieving level 5 or above in reading, writing and maths: 30%
Knutsford: Percentage achieving level 5 or above in reading, writing and maths: 28%
Chater: Percentage achieving level 5 or above in reading, writing and maths: 23%
Central: Percentage achieving level 5 or above in reading, writing and maths: 11%

From what I can tell, these local primaries are pushing for all children to be level 4 or above not level 5 or above. However, I appreciate the 2014 stats. may give a very different picture.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

3b1g wrote:That data has lumped exceptionally able children, able children and slightly above average children into one category labelled 'high attainers'. I stand by the information I gave in my previous comment, which I think is more useful to parents of potential pupils.
No the data has grouped all children on L5 or L6 as high attainers. I think this falls in line with what you stated in your own posts: sets 1 & 2 are full of highly able children (easily achieved L6 at the end of primary). Sets 3 & 4 are full of able children (strong L5 at the end of primary). However, I appreciate that you may consider L5c as slightly above average rather than high attainer.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Richard12 I am sure that your daughter will thrive at either WGGS or Parmiters, they are very mixed ability schools and if she is musical she will have great opportunities. Statistics should be taken with a fairly large pinch of school. Good luck.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The prior attainment details in the table refer to the same cohort as the 'end of KS4' data, I think? So not the same children as the ones described in the other post.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Richard12

Post by Richard12 »

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply and provide some very useful information.
3b1g and Hera, that is reassuring to hear that both Parmiters and WGGS have a mixed ability group and I would of thought somewhere along the line, that would be the case, given each school takes a % on locality and sibling rule. I must admit to being, initially, slightly alarmed at the statistics provided on DFE for both Parmiters and WGGS, as the stats would suggest 73%/80% (as very kindly provided by noonynunu) are already high attainers on entry, a % which is higher than those admitted via the academic/music route, so it would initially suggest, those who have achieved a place via sibling or living close by could already be on a secure level 5 on entry?

Many thanks once again