STAGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Princess1612

STAGS

Post by Princess1612 »

moving swiftly on from the results so eagerly expected,does anyone know if Sandringham,Marlboro and STAGS have a catchment area?
Radlettmother

Re: STAGS

Post by Radlettmother »

I was looking at this last night. Stags has an area of preference for people that would like a single sex school I think. I couldn't quite make out how you express that preference though. Sorry not to be more help.
Ally

Post by Ally »

I'm not truly sure how STAGS locate their places, but I know that you have to live within one of the parishes within the priority area and then places are located on a lottery basis. There is an view that if you want a single sex school you should put it as your first choice, I don't know if anyone can confirm this.

Beaumonts. Had 1117 applications last year for 180 places. You had to live within the priority area - St Albans and surrounding parishes and the distance was 2682meters.

Sandringham. Had 1208 applications last year for 180 places. The distance was 1443meters . They are increase the PAN to 210, but that's to cater for the shortage of places for Wheathampstead children
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

50% of STAGS girls leave at the end of Y11. The school say it is to meet boys but it is a small school and I think some of them seek a bigger stage and I also know of girls who moved to Habs. I know someone who managed to get a place at STAGS last year off the waiting list from Watford after not even applying on their CAF. Places do come up as many girls will go to the High School but apply to STAGS in case they don't get in. It is interesting that Sandringham and Beaumont are more oversubscribed than Parmiters, the Watfords and DAO. DG
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

I.ve noted number apply to sw herts consortium schools has dropped over recent years, think down to changes to admissions policy, exam results before apply and parents getting message about realistic chance of gettng in or not, plus with all schools oversubscribed, parents with only three options locally untill last year, needing to use one wisely for a school near home or risk being send say from mill end south oxhey west Watford all way to borramwood.
allegory

Post by allegory »

STAGs isn't a specially small school (I know this because I went there..probably an Old Girl in more than one sense now :D ). It's 6 form entry like all the others. DAOGroupie: Did you meant STAHS, the private girls school? There is always a lot of confusion between the 2!

To answer your question STAGS first take people in their priority area (ie st albans & surrounding villages) for whom it is their nearest non faith, non selective school that a girl could attend in distance order. Each area gets a number of places in proportion to the number applying.

If any are left over, they are given by ballot to remaining priority area candidates.

Anyone else is put in a ballot for the remaining places. There were no remaining places on allocation day but 26 were outside priority area by the 3rd run, so worth a shot if you have nerves of steel!

You can find all the detail here: http://www.hertsdirect.org/docs/pdf/adm ... llocsumCI2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sandringham has re done it's rules this year. Places are now purely on distance, whether or not it is your closest school so last year's aren't purerly comparative but it looked like 2 miles at least.

Don't know about Marlborough sorry.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks but I am very clear about the difference between STAGS and the High School. I know quite a few dds at each school. Thanks for the very clear details about STAGS entry criteria. DG
allegory

Post by allegory »

So sorry DAOGroupie - I didn't mean to offend or patronise. I really just wanted to help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now