Bushey Meads Admissions Statistics Now Online

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HenryVIII

Bushey Meads Admissions Statistics Now Online

Post by HenryVIII »

http://www.busheymeads.org.uk/about-us/ ... s/student/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting reading; Band A 222-278. 40 distance places allocated in Band A; distance going to 10km (anecdotal evidence from DCs seems to indicate lots of fellow pupils from the Harrow area). In the top band, the school has a relatively low sibling intake.

Any sense that Queens will have a high sibling intake in 2015? I heard that DCs' primary school (Bushey) are sending more to Q than BM, usually it's evenly split.
WP

Re: Bushey Meads Admissions Statistics Now Online

Post by WP »

HenryVIII wrote:Any sense that Queens will have a high sibling intake in 2015? I heard that DCs' primary school (Bushey) are sending more to Q than BM, usually it's evenly split.
They had 103 siblings this year, which was fewer than last year but more than 2013.
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

Copy and paste all info below, but layout gone

Four quartiles: similar to previous years, key difference is on all distance goes out much further, and tech test score is higher.
Read numbers down here as going across.
221-201

200-182

181-138

Criteria 1 Children In Care/Statement

Criteria 2
Siblings

Criteria 3
Medical

Criteria 4
Past Siblings

Criteria 5 Children of Staff

Criteria 6
Distance

Maximum Distance

10447.82 m
6385.2 m
3503.38 m
3206.23 m

Technology

Lowest Tech Score Place Offered

Queenie

Post by Queenie »

I am a little confused as to the distance. I was always under the impression that once placed in a band, score didn't matter and it went on distance from school.

I have a friend whose DS was placed in band B, is quite a way down the waiting list but lives quite a bit nearer than 6385.2m. :?
She is currently waiting for the school to phone her back to discuss it.
noonynunu

Post by noonynunu »

Queenie wrote:I am a little confused as to the distance. I was always under the impression that once placed in a band, score didn't matter and it went on distance from school.

I have a friend whose DS was placed in band B, is quite a way down the waiting list but lives quite a bit nearer than 6385.2m. :?
She is currently waiting for the school to phone her back to discuss it.
Queenie, unless I'm reading their FAQ document on their website wrong, your understanding of the place allocations is correct:

Once all applicants have been placed within a band, the test score and position within the band are disregarded. Priority is given to those in criteria 1 (SEN/Children in Public Care), 2 (Sibling – current), 3 (Medical), 4 (Sibling – past) and 5 (Children of Staff). The remaining applicants in each band are considered under criteria 6 (Distance) and placed in ascending order of distance from the home address to Bushey Meads School (where it is necessary to choose between children living equal distances from the school, the child with the higher test score is awarded the place).

However, it is possible the furthest distance allocation could have been affected by criteria 1,2,3,4 & 5 which takes priority in the place allocations i.e. a child with SEN living 5 miles from the school would get priority over another child in the same band living 1 mile from the school but applying under the distance criteria.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

However, it is possible the furthest distance allocation could have been affected by criteria 1,2,3,4 & 5 which takes priority in the place allocations i.e. a child with SEN living 5 miles from the school would get priority over another child in the same band living 1 mile from the school but applying under the distance criteria.
I think that you are most likely to be right in that the furthest distance in this band was taken by a sibling etc.

Anecdotally, Band B has always been the most oversubscribed band. In Bushey/Bushey Heath there are 7 junior schools with about 300 pupils going up to secondary. It's also a dense residential area so many families are going to be comfortably living 1-2 km from the school. With only 31 places being available in this band - you can understand the incredible pressure on secondary schools for places!

Good luck to your friend. We like the school and have been impressed with the new head Jeremy Turner so far.
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

Thank you Noonynunu and HenryVIII for your replies. That train of thought hadn't occurred to me. I do hope my friends DS gets in as I really think it is the right school for him. DS1 and DS2 are both there and my DD is following in September.
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

So so happy :D :D My friends DS got a place at BM! 31st on the waiting list in band B.
There must have been a lot of movement this year. :o
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

That's great news!

I am intrigued at the movement - I wonder if BM took longer to publish their statistics due to chasing up the acceptances from all applicants. Then people decline to stay on the waiting list and reconcile themselves to their given school/not bother to register their continuing interest.

I know 2 DCs who wanted Queens - both their scores were around 214 so a bit optimistic judging by previous years. Any sense of movement there?

(BTW Queenie, any of your DCs picking GCSEs this year? DS choosing options this weekend!)
Queenie

Post by Queenie »

Thank you HenryVIII. The movement does seem a little strange.

My DS1 is in year 10 and DS2 is in year 8 so not choosing options. I gather from talking to another Mum of year 9 that the system is different this year and they have more free choices. DS1 only had 1 free choice.

I am very happy with the school and I think the new head is doing a good job so far.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now