Anyone travelling to Bushey Meads from Harrow?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ushaayyar

Anyone travelling to Bushey Meads from Harrow?

Post by Ushaayyar »

DS joins BM in Sep15. Would like to know if there are any other boys/girls going there from Harrow? How do you plan to travel on daily basis?

Thanks
Usha
sv2004

Re: Anyone travelling to Bushey Mead from Harrow?

Post by sv2004 »

Hello Ushaayyar,

My son has also got admission to BM - Sep15. We live in Edgware so guess that puts us in the same boat. I'm guessing my son would need to take the bus to Bushey high street and walk it to school from there. We are planning to do a few runs to explore different possibilities. Not sure if there are coach services from our area but will definitely check with the school as well.

Nice to know you and guess going forward we would be having many such questions in common now.

Thanks,
SV
Ushaayyar

Post by Ushaayyar »

Hi SV

Nice to know you too. It seems to me there are no coaches coming this side from BM. I guess car pooling might be a good option because it takes far too long on the public transport from Harrow. But as you say have to explore all possibilities.

Thanks
sv2004

Post by sv2004 »

Hi Ushaayyar,

Are you going to be attending the BBQ outing on Saturday, 27th June? It would be good to meet up so we could discuss our commuting issues :)

Regards,
Sameer
KS10

Post by KS10 »

http://www.busheymeads.org.uk/bus-service-page/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It seems the 258 is the easiest route from Harrow. There is info about travelling from Edgware too.
Ushaayyar

Post by Ushaayyar »

Hi Sameer,

Yes we will be attending the fun day on 27th. Probably if we get a good number going from Harrow we could get the school to help us out to organise a coach/bus.

It would also be good to know if there are any seniors in this forum whose child goes via public transport.

Usha
Ushaayyar

Post by Ushaayyar »

Hi KS10

Yes 258 does go to Bushey. It would be useful if someone could give us their experience on how long it does take to get there. I might explore that option over the summer hols.

Usha
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

You'll have no problem with the 258 bus which runs regularly and lots of students pile out at the golf club and walk down to Bushey Meads en masse (a 15-20 min journey) from Bushey Country Club, crossing the road, walking up Melbourne Road and then joining Coldharbour Lane. There might be a PAYG shuttle to the high road from the school but I am not sure how reliable this info is as it comes from my 2 x DSs who don't use it!

I'd have thought that efforts to get the school to expand the routes might be unsuccessful - these routes are offered by private contractors and could stop at any time. The school has run consultations in the past but the bus companies only run the routes commercially if it's worth their while (and generally not outside Herts). The advantage of the 258 is that it is free for Oyster users (under 16, I think) and that if your DC stays after school for homework club or other activities then they can make their own way home (safe residential area).

Hope you enjoyed the fun afternoon/BBQ. The head teacher makes a big effort to speak to everyone and make them welcome.