When is a Grammar School not a Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fustrateddad

When is a Grammar School not a Grammar School

Post by Fustrateddad »

i am a bit confused about Watford Boys and Girls Grammer schools. Although both schools were grammar schools in the past but why do they still use grammar in their names when they are not now. I realise they partially select their pupils but that is the same as other schools in the South West Herts consortium.
Daogroupie

Re: When is a Grammar School not a Grammar School

Post by Daogroupie »

Manchester Boys Grammar is a private school not a Grammar school. QE Girls in Barnet is a state comprehensive not a Grammar but their building still says QE Girls Grammar. Some schools have just kept the original names they had. If you are in catchment of Watford Boys Grammar you are very lucky as it does better than many actual Grammars schools!

Why should the Watfords change their names when so many aspire to go there? For some who move to get in it is the name that first attracts them!

I think they are right to keep the names. DG
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

It's the same in Surrey where Kingston Grammar School is a private school. The moral is to do your research fully!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Prince Henry's Otley, Ilkley and Harrogate Grammars are all comprehensives.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

And Enfield Boys' Grammar is also a comprehensive!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some GS haven't got the word 'Grammar' in their title ... and 'High' can mean it's a GS or not!
Fustrateddad

Post by Fustrateddad »

Thank you for all your responses. I know that a number of direct grant grammar schools (such as Manchester Grammar School) chose to become independent/private schools after the Direct Grant System was abolished in 1975 but others like Watford Boys Grammar School (WBGS) and Watford Grammar Girls School (WGGS) became comprehensives. Those Grammars which became independent schools still selected their pupils and retained their Grammar school status. Whilst not disputing that WGBS or WGGS are good schools, it seems to me that not all parents recognise that they are not the same as genuine Grammars such as QE boys, Latymer or HBS.
decaff

Post by decaff »

Rickmansworth was also a grammar school but chose to drop term when it became comprehensive in the 70's. JOA was also a single sex RC grammar but became comprehensive in the 70's. I do think that Watford boys and girls does sometimes cause confusion among the public by keeping name. However I don't think we can strictly call them true comprehensives either in view of partial selection.
madsystem

Post by madsystem »

With sibling rule and cross sibling and few by distance, expensive housing, they are if anything more than grammar, they skim a small slice of top ability than real grammars, ie lincoln or kent. And results are right up there. This is no way they are comprehensive,mtake so few local children by distance, diverse background.
The whole system a mess.
Have some difference of emphasis of schools yes and communicate clearly to parents, but over testing all this craming mad, plus long traveling.
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

madsystem wrote:With sibling rule and cross sibling and few by distance, expensive housing, they are if anything more than grammar, they skim a small slice of top ability than real grammars, ie lincoln or kent. And results are right up there. This is no way they are comprehensive,mtake so few local children by distance, diverse background.
The whole system a mess.
Have some difference of emphasis of schools yes and communicate clearly to parents, but over testing all this craming mad, plus long traveling.

I appreciate you re having a rant; but sibling and even cross sibling are typically comprehensive features. Fully selectives/grammar do not have sibling policies. Also have you seen the kids at the Watford grammars? They are certainly diverse in background, they are all local as you cannot get in if you don't live locally. I agree that the pure distance rule is open to manipulation and I would like to see more done here.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now