OOC 2016 admissions - schools to apply

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mamu

OOC 2016 admissions - schools to apply

Post by mamu »

Now that in less than 2 weeks we all need to fill in the CAF form, probably the OOC candidates need to get few statistics clarified/confirmed:

Pasting details from other threads for OOC candidates or based on merits:
•Queens': 35%
•St Clement Danes: 10%
•Rickmansworth: 25% in 2005 and 2006; 35% in 2007; 25% since 2008
•Parmiter's and the Watford Grammars: 35%

Q1. Queens - from the admission criteria this 35% is based on merit but also to be allocated to the catchment candidates? Did I get this right? So for OOC candidate no chance?
Q2. St Clement Danes - 10% based on merit and no catchment criteria. Do we have the latest 2015 admission cut off scores - to check whether my DD has any chance or we will waste the CAF option.
Q3. Watford Girls - is there any seat for OOC?
Q4. Rickmansworth: Do we have the latest 2015 admission cut off scores - to check whether my DD has any chance or we will waste the CAF option
Q5: I ignored Busheymeads because for that we need a separate test other than the consortium test.

Am I missing any SW Herts grammar school where any OOC candidate can apply just based on merits/score criteria?
bobos

Re: OOC 2016 admissions - schools to apply

Post by bobos »

Q1. Queens - from the admission criteria this 35% is based on merit but also to be allocated to the catchment candidates? Did I get this right? So for OOC candidate no chance?
I think you are right. If you are OOC, better not apply at all.
Q2. St Clement Danes - 10% based on merit and no catchment criteria. Do we have the latest 2015 admission cut off scores - to check whether my DD has any chance or we will waste the CAF option.
2015 admission cut off scores - 248; 2014 - 252; 2013 - 243. No catchment criteria for academic ability test. If her score +25 points is close to the last years scores, it is worth a shot.
Q3. Watford Girls - is there any seat for OOC?
Not exactly familiar, we are applying for Watford Boys, where they have very few seats for OOC. About 10points difference in the cut off scores between the catchment and the OOC area.
Q4. Rickmansworth: Do we have the latest 2015 admission cut off scores - to check whether my DD has any chance or we will waste the CAF option
2015 admission cut off scores - 234. There are only two seat offered for OOC and historically they have always been offered to kids that took the music test.
Q5: I ignored Busheymeads because for that we need a separate test other than the consortium test.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the above is incorrect. You can apply only with the consortium test and there is no catchment area.
K1w1mum

Post by K1w1mum »

bobos wrote: Q3. Watford Girls - is there any seat for OOC?
Not exactly familiar, we are applying for Watford Boys, where they have very few seats for OOC. About 10points difference in the cut off scores between the catchment and the OOC area.
There are two catchment areas for WGGS and WBGS- an inner and outer for each. If you are in neither, there is no point in applying as you will not get a place no matter what your score is. We know someone whose daughter sat the SWHC test and got an extremely good mark and didn't get a place. They then appealed and still didn't get a place.
HenryVIII

Post by HenryVIII »

There is no catchment area; DCs are organised into 4 ability bands based on score, the candidates are then ranked by BMS entrance criteria (one example would be siblings) and then offered places on distance.

You are probably thinking of the Technology Test - if your DC sat this then this is 'first past the post' - 19 places in rank order offered places (last time I looked).

As an aside, there seems to be a cohort of high-achieving DCs from the Harrow area who are consistently in the top sets. From anecdotal evidence, they have either missed out on WGs or do not quality for the catchment criteria for other SW Consortium schools.