Admission breakdown for community places for Watford Grammar for Boys 2007
1. Looked after children = 1
2. proximity to the School = 18
3. Boys with brothers at WGB = 44
4. Sons of employees = 1
5. Boys with sisters at WGG = 32
6. Proximity to the school = 0
9. Statements = 3

Based on above data and making the assumption that there would have been a similar number of boys with sisters applying as boys with brothers (i.e. 44/45) I’d always assumed my son wouldn’t be offered a place under criterion 5 as we live right at the edge of the outer catchment area and the community places would run out before getting to him.

However, having read last night’s post by Watford87

Quote:
“
as the selective proportion has gone down to 25% from 35% for the previous year[quote]â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:53 am 
you should look at the Moving On booklet on the HCC website to get past admission breakdown.

My understanding is that for the 2007 intake not all the cross siblings got in. However, for 2008 intake assuming that the cross sibling rule remains as is then more could get in.thereafte the proximity rule kicks in again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:46 am 
watford87 wrote:
My understanding is that for the 2007 intake not all the cross siblings got in. However, for 2008 intake assuming that the cross sibling rule remains as is then more could get in.thereafter the proximity rule kicks in again.

That's right: for the last two years there were no admissions under the second proximity criterion, so some boys with sisters at the girls school may have missed out, and we can't be sure how many sibling applicants there were. For the 2005-2008 intakes, the total number of siblings has been 95, 70, 76+ and 76+ respectively. With 117 community places available this year, and no places going to children of staff, it seems reasonably likely that all the siblings will get in, and that an unknown number will get in by distance in addition to the basic 18. (The corresponding numbers at the girls school were 69, 76+, 74 and 77.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:54 am 
The admissions book watford87 referred to is on the Herts admissions page, with figures for the last 3 years. Last year's book is no longer on line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:47 am 
How are No. 2 and No. 6 different?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:48 am 
Many thanks - that was very helpful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:43 am 
CC wrote:
How are No. 2 and No. 6 different?

No 2 is a fixed 10% (18 children) with high priority. No 6 allocates any leftover places by distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:37 pm 
Ah, thank you. I must pay more attention in class.