Musical Aptitude Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

beebob57

Musical Aptitude Tests

Post by beebob57 »

There seems to be some disparity about the m.a.t. recall to play.
Is it true that St Clement Danes does not call children in to play their chosen instrument and or to sing?
Apparently, they just award 18 places straight off to the children who attained the highest scores in the m.a.t.

Please can someone advise?

I do know that the m.a.t. recall tests are not necessarily at your first choice school.

My child is sitting the 11+ on the 4th, so still stressing out, any kind words about how to chill out would be appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to you all. Beebob57
oneworriedmum

Post by oneworriedmum »

As far as I understand it, the audition panel (of 2) is made up of heads of music from the consortium schools, however the head of music at St Clement Danes does not take part, so yes, they must just take the top ones that have listed them first. I think the system is quite fair, though, as the heads of music that do the judging do not know what schools the child in front of them has put.

If we had the academic test to do again, I would take my daughter out on the weekend before for some special treat that would have taken her mind off the test, as well as promise her one for when it was over. I also would have thought more carefully about how to get her to sleep enough during the week approaching the test. She was not sleeping well. She never said she was anxious about the test, but I think she was. I also wish now I had some individual sessions with a tutor to work on her exam technique, as she was too slow on the maths. None of the above may apply to you, hopefully, so just keep boosting her confidence in any way you can, I would say, and she'll be fine. (Nobody I know finished the VR paper, even the brainiest child in the school had one he couldn't manage.)
oneworriedmum

Post by oneworriedmum »

Hi I just read your post again, and find I didn't exactly answer it! (It has happened to me many a time in this forum - we are all fixated in our own way of looking at things, I think!) Well, I'd not heard that about awarding places on m.a.t. Not sure I like that idea! My daughter is going for her audition this morning, and I have a lot resting on this, for S.C.D... so if it doesn't make any difference not sure how I feel about that! If you find out anything, I'd be very interested to hear. Certainly the head of music at S.C.D. didn't say anything about that to me. I think S.C.D. would just leave it to the others to do the auditions, but then pick the best from the auditions scores.
resmum

Post by resmum »

I can only comment on last year's test. My daughter did the MAT test at SCD while most of her friends did it at Watford Grammar. We were not in the Watford Grammar catchment so had only applied to SCD. I think the consortium try to invite you to do the MAT test at the school that they think is the most convenient for you so they choose the one that you have ranked highest. As far as the marking is concerned, where you sit the test should be irrelevant.

Then a number of children (presumably more than the number of allocated places as some children will have applied to more than one school) are invited to audition. Last year the performance was marked out of 45 (15 points for musicality, 15 for accuracy, 15 for performance, I think). I don't know if these marks are added to the MAT test scores or whether they stand alone when the ranking is sent back to the consortium for allocation.

I'm sure the music heads/teachers who judge the auditions don't know which schools the children have applied for. I seem to remember they only had a list of the children's names and audition times. By the way my daughter's audition was at the Watford School of Music - not at SCD.

I have heard rumours though that the schools are particularly keen on children who play band or orchestral instruments or are good singers as they think they will contribute more to the musical life of the school than a pianist (of which there were several when my daughter auditioned). So if your child is planning to play the piano at the audition and plays another instrument or sings try to make sure they mention that to the examiners.
oneworriedmum

Post by oneworriedmum »

I'm burned out with this conversation now. The audition went well so I feel very relieved. I knew everything you say beforehand so no worries there. Thanks. I don't think Bebop can be right about SCD allocating from the m.a.t as that just wouldn't make sense. (Which is the point they were making.)