What is the maximum score ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ktcroucher0607

What is the maximum score ?

Post by Ktcroucher0607 »

Hi,

I am a bit unsure of how we can decide on the school allocation if we have no idea what the score they receive is out of. I only know 2 other people taking the test so i can't gauge if applying for a consortium school is realistic ? Hope that makes sense - I would appreciate any advice !

Thanks
thisisnuts

Re: What is the maximum score ?

Post by thisisnuts »

For a standardised result, the max score is either 140 or 141 per paper - so 280 or 282 for SW Herts.

You should check out the admission stats sticky at the top of the SW Herts section - it gives admission marks by school for the last few years.

Marks were a lot lower last year following the change of VR to CEM. Likely to rise this year as everyone will have been more prepared for it. Although won't go back to the same levels as before when the VR was based on papers in the public domain.

If you're lucky, the results email will give guidance as to how the overall scores compare to last the last couple of years.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Lsst year they advised parents to add 25 marks to the score to take it to the levels of the previous year.

This was because so many students did so badly on the CEM.

This year the CEM was much easier and most tutors and parents knew about it so scores will be a lot higher. DG
MdotU

Post by MdotU »

Given the reserve date is next week I think Daogroupie's comment about the test should be removed [mods?] - not sure how that can be gauged anyway, but personal opinions like that that should not be on here until everyone has taken it.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Well there's a change - it's usually DG telling people not to talk about the exam before backup dates!

Although merely stating her (students' ??) opinion that the exam was easier this year, doesn't really give away any useful detail to those still to sit.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Given that this same paper has now been sat by thousands of students and on four different sittings already I think you have a lot more to worry about than my comment that it was easier than last year. DG
rosetta

Post by rosetta »

Given that marks are standardised, the easiness or otherwise of the paper should make no difference to standardised marks - eg last year, it may have been that the top mark achieved in VR was 80% - that would then have scored 141 (standardised score) on that paper. But if this year, the paper was easier and the top mark was 99%, for example, then you'd need 99% to score 141. It shouldn't be any easier to get a particular standardised score if the test is easier. That's why they use standardised scores, not raw scores.

What the very high marks achieved previously reflect, as said above, is the fact that the old VR papers were in the public domain.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now