Parmiters - proximity

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

watdad

Post by watdad »

Sandra26 wrote: My child got their first ranked school on academic, did extremely well and in doing so also qualified for their second ranked school (much less places) and got an offer on academic, on the condition that they refuse any other place accepted first. This way they do not occupy two places.
I would be interested to know he schools concerned, what they have done is against the rules. Hence my belief that this is one big game.
WP

Post by WP »

watdad wrote:
Sandra26 wrote: My child got their first ranked school on academic, did extremely well and in doing so also qualified for their second ranked school (much less places) and got an offer on academic, on the condition that they refuse any other place accepted first. This way they do not occupy two places.
I would be interested to know he schools concerned, what they have done is against the rules. Hence my belief that this is one big game.
The first-ranked school is blameless, of course. I think that the actions of the second-ranked school, while contrary to the spirit of the co-ordinated admissions system, are allowed because Hertfordshire does not require CI applications to match your original preferences. Parmiter's have been accused of doing this in the past.
watford87

Post by watford87 »

Isn't this just common sense. No child needs two place. It forces parents to get on and make a decision and in doing do frees up a place as quickly as possible for another child on the CI list whose parents continue to wait anxiously. I can appreciate that it places an utlimatum on the parents which can be uncomfortable for them but at some point a decision needs to be made on which the school is preferred.
watdad

Post by watdad »

The point is the LEA is supposed to offer a place based on the ranking you gave your schools.

If the schools are writing direct to parents offering second bites of the cherry this is clearly at the very minimum unethical and possibly illegal.

It would ask you to consider the feeling of those parents who have missed out and ask how you would feel if the situation were reversed.

IMO this type of behaviour should not be allowed please expose the schools in question....
vas

Post by vas »

Does Sandra 26 mean the results being sent by the second school?

My son did QE and Tiffins and as he was offered QE,(my first choice) both the QE letter and my LEA made a firm offer of this. However I did receive a letter from Tiffins which gave the scores, (above their admissions cut-off) but clearly stating that as he has been offered his first choice school he has been removed from their list at Tiffins. I find it quite shocking that any second choice school can give an offer directly, when the child gets his/her first choice??
toony

Post by toony »

Seems so very sad that there are some children which schools will 'fight' over using apparently underhand methods.

Meanwhile there are other children who are above average, hardworking, lovely individuals who seem consigned to be offered nothing - or at least nothing which they or their parents find acceptable. :cry:

I did hear of another child who received 2 offers last year, one from her first choice and another from a Herts school with only a small number of selective places on the Bucks/Herts border. I had assumed this was a 'mistake' by the second school, but this child was very bright, so maybe not...
watdad

Post by watdad »

vas wrote:My son did QE and Tiffins and as he was offered QE,(my first choice) both the QE letter and my LEA made a firm offer of this. However I did receive a letter from Tiffins which gave the scores, (above their admissions cut-off) but clearly stating that as he has been offered his first choice school he has been removed from their list at Tiffins. I find it quite shocking that any second choice school can give an offer directly, when the child gets his/her first choice??
VAS, I think the school you are talking about are selective and not bound by the same criteria. Unless I am mistaken S26 is talking about two VA schools from the Watford Consortium who are only partially selective (25% of their intake on academic ability) and whose admissions process is still in the main handle by the LEA.
WP

Post by WP »

watdad wrote:VAS, I think the school you are talking about are selective and not bound by the same criteria. Unless I am mistaken S26 is talking about two VA schools from the Watford Consortium who are only partially selective (25% of their intake on academic ability) and whose admissions process is still in the main handle by the LEA.
Foundation schools (like Rickmansworth and QE) and VA schools (like the Watford schools and Tiffin) all handle their own admissions, whether fully selective or not, though they are required to coordinate with the LEA.

Incidentally, Herts plans to change the CI process next year, by re-allocating places as soon as they are informed that a CI place has been offered, instead of waiting for an acceptance as now (Cabinet, 17th March, agenda item 9). They had proposed to restrict CI to schools originally ranked higher than the allocated school, but decided not to (at least for 2009-10), partly due to the disadvantage created by Herts offering only 3 preferences.
toony

Which school was 2nd preference?

Post by toony »

No reply from Sandra26??

:roll:
Sandra26

Post by Sandra26 »

aaa