Current QE boys students

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ElevenplusParent

Post by ElevenplusParent »

Dear INEX,

Thanks a lot for the valuable info QE exams!
Can you please guide me on the format of english exam?

Would it have composition with some writing or will it only be in multiple choice format.

Also I have a question on Verbal. Do you think any vocab buildder software be any useful?

Thanks in anticipation.
Sam3

Post by Sam3 »

Hi INEX (aka sj355),

I do not know if you are still there. I agree that the child should feel comfartable and conneceted with the tutor. I am currently looking for a tutor. I was wondering if you could send me the numbers of your son's tutors' names. You can e-mail me privately. Thank you very much.
Sam
Sam
sj355

Post by sj355 »

ElevenplusParent wrote:Dear INEX,

Thanks a lot for the valuable info QE exams!
Can you please guide me on the format of english exam?

Would it have composition with some writing or will it only be in multiple choice format.

Also I have a question on Verbal. Do you think any vocab buildder software be any useful?
Always multiple choice. A text (fiction) followed by questions on the text inlcuding a section on grammatical/syntax errors. Just as you think you are finished another text appears with a few more questions towards the end. In the case of my son two years ago the first text was very funny and he enjoyed answering the questions but the second text was very boring and he was not exactly sure what it was about (which I found very worrying at the time!)

I hate to admit it but I do not know waht a vocab builder is!

Good luck!
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Sam3 wrote:Hi INEX (aka sj355),

I do not know if you are still there. I agree that the child should feel comfartable and conneceted with the tutor. I am currently looking for a tutor. I was wondering if you could send me the numbers of your son's tutors' names. You can e-mail me privately. Thank you very much.
Sam
No problems, Sam 3 I have send you a private message with the name and contact details of the tutor. They got along famously and the reasons for this is primarily that she is a fantastic person and secondarily because their personalities provided a fantastic chemistry!
sj355
chad

Post by chad »

Posts have been removed from this thread, They were off topic and not helpful. If you believe your post should not have been removed please PM me. chad 13/12/08 :)
gtg

Post by gtg »

sj355 wrote:
He started doing the Bonds in Maths, English, VR and NVR and is getting between 75% and 90% and I also do some extra English with him too. I just need to do more comprehensions and story writing with him. Are there any you could recommend me? Which ones did your son's tutor use? Thanks.
I think he is doing excellent if he is already achieving this marks in Bond! Yes, his tutor did some Bond staff with him (VR and NVR), but in English she was using some comprehensions from an unknown source (secrets of the trade?!) which required not only answering questions, but also critical questions on the piece read and then writng his own story on some lossely related topic
My son's school is good and he is in the top 3 of his class and he is amongst the youngest but as you know the 11+ is another league all together.
My son was also the second youngest (late July born)!
What do you do if you do not mind me asking as you mentioned in your last message that Maths is your field?
I teach Economics at the University but also do Mathematical Economics and my first degree was in Stats.
I, myself teach languages so I can teach but teaching your own child is different from teaching other people's children.Don't you think?
Not if you both enjoy your subject. It is contagious!! The mutual love for Maths is a major bond between my son and me!

Have a nice day both you and your boy,
Once again a comment has been removed from this post by a Moderator. See message below.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Dear gtg

If you cannot refrain from making rude remarks in your posts you will be banned from the Forum on the next occasion it happens. A number of your posts have been removed from the Forum or edited for this reason.

Would you please also take a little more care in posting so that readers can tell the difference between "quotes" and your own text. If you find it too complex to use quotes, then please simply post a standard reply in future. That will be more comprehensible.

Sally-Anne (Moderator)
ummh74

Post by ummh74 »

Hi everyone,

We received the letter yesterday and my son has passed the first round. Youpi.
Thank you to sj355 and Tom in particular for their invaluable info, I know I have been a bit quiet but you know what it is like all this 11+ stress!

We are now preparing for the second round any info would be welcome :wink:

Congratulations to the ones who have passed and good luck to the ones still waiting for their letters.
:P
ElevenplusParent

Post by ElevenplusParent »

Hello all,

Can someone please guide us on the format for English in round 2?

Does one need to write answers for the composition in complete sentences or will those be in multiple choice format?

Also will there be any essays to write?

Also can someone please recommend resources for comrehension?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Thanks in advance,

EPP :( :(
e45

Re: Current QE boys students

Post by e45 »

ummh74 wrote:Hi,

My son is currently in Year 5 and I am preparing him for QE boys as my heart is really set on that school. I went to the open day last year and really loved it (and so did my son).

I would like to get in touch with parents whose son(s) already go to QE boys just to have some inside info about the school and to make sure that I am not making a mistake about considering that school for my son.

I will extremely grateful if anyone could come along and reply to my post. Thanks in advance.
:)
hi i am also new to this website and i was wondering can anybody tell me the difference in christ college and qe boys because everybody who i ask says they are both the same
i will be extremly greatful if anybody replies