Music Places

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kev

Music Places

Post by Kev »

My son may apply for a music place at Latymer or QE.

I would be interested to hear people's experience of applying for music places at any N London/Herts school.

- when were auditions held
- what happened at the audition
- what sort of standard were the children who were called for audition
- what sort of mix of instruments
- what type of child has been succesful gaining a music place

and anything else really - basically I'm trying to figure out whether its worth applying.

Thanks
jayjay

qe music

Post by jayjay »

My son is in year 7 at QE -

We applied under exam and music criteria

If you are successful, QE will not tell you which criteria got you in

You have to get through the first round of VR & NVR in order to be invited back for the second round and the music auditions. Music auditions have been in January

Minimum grade 3 standard. many children are way beyond that and in 2 instruments. Some are grade 6/7 in 2 instruments and varies year to year.I understand that over 100 children took music audition for 20 places?

The format is the same as in ABRMS exams: 2 pieces, scales, sight reading and aural - they give you details of what is expected if you apply

Hope this answers all your questions
moose

music at qe

Post by moose »

Definitely worth to try if you son is able. We are still awaiting the results . I think my son ran out of steam by the time the QE music exams took place ( but then you never know). The exam was very standard, max 6 minutes to fill up, plus scales. The accompaniment was not great and put kids at a disadvantage (but all of them in an equal measure). Does anybody know how many kids were auditioned?
Kev

Post by Kev »

Jayjay and Moose,

Thanks for your replies. It sounds very competitive but worth a go!

Kev
filbert

Post by filbert »

For Nth London/Herts (ie Barnet :)) you probably have Mill Hill County, QE Boys, Dame Alice and maybe Latymer. They all select various numbers for music with Mill Hill and DAO not requiring academic entrance passes unlike the other two.

Mill Hill and DAO have only a few places anyway and DAO you need to pass an initial aural (beep/tone) test before being called for music audition. You can look on their sites to see how few places there are and DAO in particular you may fall foul of the catchment rules.

Latymer requires grade 5 min which I think is tough as some instruments don't lend themselves to high grades at early ages. The music teacher also admitted to planning years in advance on requirements so if a particular instrument is required and your son plays it your luck is in. Although I suspect this is probably the agenda at most places anyway.

QE is pretty much as described. For Moose's benefit ie query in the other QE music thread. The boy ahead came out crying, mine came out crying, the one after came out crying. All for various reasons such as bringing a piece for a non grade 3 second instrument and that not being allowed, similar with no backup piece to play, not doing so well as hoped in the full piece etc etc. So it sounded quite tough on them. Though to be honest I have less sympathy if people don't read the rules of engagement correctly. Mill Hill and DAO were a much more positive experience !
Kev

Post by Kev »

Filbert,

That's very informative, thanks. QEB sounds quite scary! I shall certainly make sure that we are clear about his audition pieces if we decide to apply!

Do you know if a teachers report saying the level they play at is sufficient at QEB or do they insist that they have done the grades?

Thanks again

Kev
moose

Post by moose »

I am quite sure that it has to be at least certified Grade 3 (by Associated Board or Trinity) and teacher's opinion would not be sufficient.
The exam was tough indeed, but really did not vary much from Graded music Exam. The difference was though the pressure kids unavoidably felt (no mattter how hard you tried to avoid it).
filbert has confirmed that my son was not the only one stressed out. Thanks. It is some form of consolation.
DAO much pleasanter atmosphere though not enough places to be hopeful.
filbert

Post by filbert »

From what I recall you have to provide certificate evidence of at least grade 3 with the music application. No proof no audition. I think the "rules" are not perhaps as clear as they could be about 2nd instruments hence some of the errors. But we read it correctly so clarify them with the school if you are not sure.

Just make sure you know all the ins and outs especially for places like DAO where you are playing small percentages once you understand the way in which the allocation works. Latymer's grade 5 requirement seems a joke as they start to get to the point where most of the entrants under those rules have little grading left to do so what does the school teach? It seems to me to be going away from looking for potential to cherry picking for the sake of maybe their orchestra.
moose

Post by moose »

Latymer's grade 5 requirement seems a joke as they start to get to the point where most of the entrants under those rules have little grading left to do so what does the school teach? It seems to me to be going away from looking for potential to cherry picking for the sake of maybe their orchestra.
I couldn't agree more!
And after all, how many kids have grade 5 distinction at the age of 11 and are also academically gifted to pass entrance exam (only then they are invited for auditions).
loulou

Post by loulou »

Well last year Latymer filled their 20 music places although about 4 of those also gained a place under academic criteria thus freeing up 4 extra academic places. This was what the head said at his parents talk this year. The very high flying children are clearly out there but it is demoralising for those with children who play and enjoy music to a good standard albeit not making it at this stage as far as grade 5 distinction.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now