Sports Test at Queens' - Bushey

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tense

Sports Test at Queens' - Bushey

Post by tense »

Thanks to WP's excellent analysis, I now know that friends of mine who were hoping for Queens' for their current Yr5 DD are unlikely to qualify on distance (even though they are fairly local :roll: ).

Their DD is not overly academic - solid middle sets. Could anyone take a guess about whether the 210 qualifying score would be likely to exclude such children? (I know that's hard...!)

Finally, their DD is, however, superbly sporty. So really I'd welcome any info from any parent who has experience of the sports test - what did it involve / is it about the fastest / the most flexible or the fittest?

Thanks very much.

T x
toony

Queens' sports test

Post by toony »

My children did the sports test along with around 250 other children! There are only, I believe, UP TO 5% of places given on sport so 13 places maximum.

The Eurofit test battery contains nine tests that measure different components of physical fitness:
the flamingo balance test (general balance),
plate tapping (speed of limb movement),
sit and reach (flexibility),
standing broad jump (explosive strength),
hand grip (static strength),
sit-ups (trunk strength and abdominal muscular endurance),
bent arm hang (functional strength, arm and shoulder muscular
endurance),
10 x 5m shuttle run (running speed and agility) and
20-m endurance shuttle run (cardiorespiratory endurance).

My own children were not stressed about doing the test. It was all handled very well.

I would advise your friend not to rely on this to get in though. Two of the children in my class who are very sporty and run for County did not get in.

I would say it was worth a try on the academic test. However the children who got in on academic this year (that I know) are all level 5 children and were a 5c+ in maths/reading at the end of year 5. My son was a 4a at the end of year 5 in maths, 4b in reading and missed the mark by 1.
WP

Re: Queens' sports test

Post by WP »

toony wrote:The Eurofit test battery contains nine tests that measure different components of physical fitness:
The standard Eurofit also includes physical measurements: height, weight and skinfolds. Were they included in the school's tests?
toony

Post by toony »

No they were not!
toony

Post by toony »

whoops double posted
tense

Post by tense »

Thanks very much Toony. I've never even heard of some of those things (what is plate tapping?!) but hopefully my sporty friends will understand it all!

I'll also advise that their DD sits the academic test - she'll probably have to anyway round here but perhaps they should be taking it more seriously....glad it's not me again.

Toony - hope your twins enjoy their taster day at Queens'.

T x
toony

Post by toony »

Thanks Tense - did your child enjoy the day at Parmiter's?

Both of mine arrived back happy.

The plate tapping involved putting one hand on a plate in the middle and then moving the other hand from another plate to a third plate side to side as quickly as possible (hard to describe).

All children who apply to Queens' have to sit the test, even if not applying under that criteria.
tense

Post by tense »

toony wrote:plate tapping involved putting one hand on a plate in the middle and then moving the other hand from another plate to a third plate side to side as quickly as possible
:shock: lucky for me such things didn't exist in my day!!

Yes thanks, my DD enjoyed her day, she is soooo ready to leave primary school now!

T x
watdad

Post by watdad »

toony wrote:All children who apply to Queens' have to sit the test, even if not applying under that criteria.
My Boy never did the test :?:
toony

tests!

Post by toony »

Sorry Watdad that wasn't clear was it! I meant all children who apply to Queens' have to sit the academic test, not the sports test.

They say it is so that can get an even mix of each ability in houses/form groups.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now