objection to Watford Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

watford87

Post by watford87 »

I think the letter can be significantly improved upon and would carry more weight if concerned parents set out the negative effects of the loss of the cross-sibling policy in their words.
Stig

Post by Stig »

That may be true - however I'm not sure we know which part of the admissions policy is under attack. At the very least sending the letter as it stands ensures you are registered as an interested party and so should get invited to any public meetings etc.
WP

Post by WP »

watttyg wrote:I have recently heard that the objection refers to the Inner and Outer zones of the Grammars too.

It seems to me that these objections might have a 'knock-on' effect on the other schools in the consortium. Surely it is possible that more people will apply to Parmiter's, Queens, or Rickmansworth if they are guaranteed a place for their cross siblings ?
The role of the adjudicators is described in paragraphs 4.16-22 of the Admissions Code. They must consider both the letter of the mandatory provisions of the Code and the impact on the local situation. If something is judged to contravene a mandatory provision, it must go. For the non-mandatory parts (like catchment areas), it's a matter of judgement. They must consider all relevant factors of the local admissions landscape. Not considering something relevant can get their decision overturned at judicial review, and recent adjudicator decisions very carefully lay out all the things they considered. You might get some insight into the thinking of adjudicators from previous decisions for these schools, particularly those in July 2003 and Feb 2004 (reruns after the July 2003 ones were overturned on judicial review), although these were under the old Code. It's striking that they look at things in very different terms from the schools. So I'm sure you're right about a knock-on effect, and they must consider it, but they might not attach a lot of significance to it.

They must consider that these schools had academic selection reduced by 10% last year, which will in time also reduce the number of siblings of academically selected children. Also, too much sudden change surely risks losing what the schools have achieved.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now