Consultation about 6th form siblings - anyone remember it?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Marylou

Consultation about 6th form siblings - anyone remember it?

Post by Marylou »

Hi - just wondering if anyone remembers the "legal challenge" referred to in this report: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/search ... e_changes/
and/or the consultation among parents about limiting the sibling rule to children with older siblings in Y7-11 (i.e. excluding 6th form). I think the challenge refers to the following adjudication relating to the Leventhorpe school, but not sure as the report predates it (possibly an earlier version?) :? http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:lP ... =clnk&cd=2

Were any of you affected by this rule change, or know of anyone who used it as a factor in an appeal hearing?

I would be interested in any information, further links or comments you may have.

Thanks and best regards. :)
Marylou
WP

Re: Consultation about 6th form siblings - anyone remember i

Post by WP »

Marylou wrote:Hi - just wondering if anyone remembers the "legal challenge" referred to in this report: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/search ... e_changes/
and/or the consultation among parents about limiting the sibling rule to children with older siblings in Y7-11 (i.e. excluding 6th form). I think the challenge refers to the following adjudication relating to the Leventhorpe school, but not sure as the report predates it (possibly an earlier version?)
It might refer to this. The Leventhorpe objection (and the county's objection to Leventhorpe) are indeed later in 2007 than that report.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks, WP - that's fascinating! Do you have any idea why the council was forced to change its mind about this?
Marylou
WP

Post by WP »

Marylou wrote:Thanks, WP - that's fascinating! Do you have any idea why the council was forced to change its mind about this?
I'm not sure. They did a consultation at the start of 2007 on this point among others, and apparently settled on a version of including sixth form siblings (unless they would have left before the younger sibling arrived). This was then refined by the adjudication you quoted (and a simultaneous reciprocal one).
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Thanks for that, WP - it makes interesting reading. I might also try e-mailing the Secretary of State for Education and Skills (or whatever that department is calling itself these days! :wink: ) that ordered the change to see if I can glean any more info.

At least Herts parents were given the option of having a sibling rule that included sixth formers. Bucks parents were consulted on whether or not to retain the sibling rule but - as far as I can tell - were not separately asked whether this rule should be restricted to Y7-11. This was decided unilaterally by the Admissions Forum without parents having any say in the matter, it would appear. :(
Marylou
WP

Post by WP »

Marylou wrote:Thanks for that, WP - it makes interesting reading. I might also try e-mailing the Secretary of State for Education and Skills (or whatever that department is calling itself these days! :wink: ) that ordered the change to see if I can glean any more info.
You'll note that in the decision you pointed at the council said they were doing what the Department told them to, but the adjudicator said that wasn't relevant because it was under the old Code.