QE Boys Entrance

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Spatel2

QE Boys Entrance

Post by Spatel2 »

Hi ,
My son is due to sit the QE boys Entrance exams in December 08 / January 09.

Does anyone know what the first and second exam consist of?
Are they multiple choice or written? How long are the exams?

Can anyone who sat the QE boys exams last year shed some light?

Thanks in advanced.
spatel2
nshan

Post by nshan »

Vr and NVR first round, I think NVR 40 question in 20 min. VR 80 question in 50 min(NFER format) My son took year before.
nshan

Re: QE Boys Entrance

Post by nshan »

Spatel2 wrote:Hi ,
My son is due to sit the QE boys Entrance exams in December 08 / January 09.

Are they multiple choice or written? How long are the exams?

Can anyone who sat the QE boys exams last year shed some light?

Thanks in advanced.

spatel2
Multiple choce
sj355

Re: QE Boys Entrance

Post by sj355 »

First exam: 20 mins NVR, 50 mins VR. Times & number of questions in each year tend to vary. 500 will pass to the second round.
Second exam is Maths and English, both are multiple choice, NFER based. The difference is that in English there is a story with questions followed by another one shorther followed by a few questions. Each test is around 50 mins long.

My son is in year 8 of QE now.
sj355
Spatel2

QE Boys

Post by Spatel2 »

Hello
Are the NVR and VR also NFER?

I think my son should get in, only other concern was about the school itself, I would like my son to have a balance between education and enjoying his childhood.

I live near harrow so the commute will add to his long day, the minibus takes about 40 mins each way.

How are your sons coping?

Thanks again
Sanjay
sj355

Re: QE Boys

Post by sj355 »

Spatel2 wrote:Hello
Are the NVR and VR also NFER?
I think my son should get in, only other concern was about the school itself, I would like my son to have a balance between education and enjoying his childhood.
I am glad to say that despite a tough start in the first 2-3 months in year 7, now in year 8 my son considers his school as an integral part to enjoying his childhood. In fact sometimes he is in a hurry to get there early in the morning to chat with his friends. Yes, there is lots of homework on a regular basis, but everyone speeds up considerably in getting on with it and I get the feeling that the teachers are somewhat more relaxed with them in year 8
I live near harrow so the commute will add to his long day, the minibus takes about 40 mins each way.

How are your sons coping?
My son loves his sleep and so do his parents! We used to leave in Finchely and we have now moved to Whetstone where it takes a short car drive (around 10 mins) in the morning. I will not let my son travel in the bus/tube not for safety concerns but for health reasons: the weight that they do carry at school everyday is at least double the recommended weight given my son's age and weight. On particular days he carries a bulky PE kit, a guitar and a bag that feels like a tonne of bricks. Oh yes, and he hungs his lunchbox around his neck! I would absolutely refuse to use public transport carrying all those things, let alone a child:

The American Academy of Pediatrics currently recommends that children's backpacks weigh no more than 10% to 20% of their body weight.

Students whose backpacks weighed more than 14% of their body weight, often complain of experiencing pain in their back, neck and shoulders
sj355
Spatel2

QE Boys

Post by Spatel2 »

thats interesting, i've heard they have a locker system, i might have to hire 2 and get two pe kits lol
or feed him so 10% of his body weight is 15k lol
sj355

Re: QE Boys

Post by sj355 »

Spatel2 wrote:thats interesting, i've heard they have a locker system, i might have to hire 2 and get two pe kits lol
or feed him so 10% of his body weight is 15k lol
That is an interesting suggestion. Who said that being fat is unhealthy? :lol: :lol:

The suggestion of two pe kits is good as well. Put one on each arm and it may balance the little man :lol:
sj355
Spatel2

QE boys

Post by Spatel2 »

hi did you say all 4 of the exams are nfer? are the exams same level as the nfer papers? ive heard you need about 80 85 to get through, does that sounds about right?
sj355

Re: QE boys

Post by sj355 »

Spatel2 wrote:hi did you say all 4 of the exams are nfer? are the exams same level as the nfer papers? ive heard you need about 80 85 to get through, does that sounds about right?
The author is NFER according to my son. However (still according to him) when he took the VR two years ago, some questions were not of the NFER "variety", but fortunately he had done that type of questions with his tutor. There is no indication of the marks received either of the people that go through to the first round nor of the people that do not. According to the new rules 500 applicants will go through to the second round. When my son was taking the first test the ruke was that people who achieve 70 or more in the first round will go on to the second round. The outcome was pretty much the same. However I do not know how this 70 was calculated.
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now