S W Herts consortium school tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Average mum

Post by Average mum »

My son sat the test at Ricky this pm. As per other posts he thought the maths was fine and finished with time left to check his answers but the VR was harder than and had different types of questions to the practice papers. He said he answered all questions but ran out of time 7 before the end.He seemed confident he had done well so I pinned on a smile and and said lots of positive things that I didn't feel. But know I have heard from lots of people that their kids left out as many as 15 questions - ones that I would have expected to do really well - so feel a lot better. I just think that it is a dreadful thing to put our 10 and 11 year olds through aswell as us poor old parents. So relieved it is all over! :)
newgirl

Post by newgirl »

It seems most of the children felt the same i.e. maths easy and V.R. "really hard". My child left out 7 and guessed another 5 so, if we're all in the same boat then I would guess there won't be many who score maximum points and so it will level out in the end.

Does anybody know how many kids took the test this year, there seemed to be hundreds! Were there two tests at each of the three venues (Ricky, Clement Danes and WB)? If so, how many at each test?
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

There are 7 schools in the consortium and I think each had 2 sittings. The school my DS did the tests at seemed to have about 180 children at his sitting so roughly about 2500 candidates in all.

Quite a few. :)
WP

Post by WP »

AlisonR wrote:There are 7 schools in the consortium and I think each had 2 sittings. The school my DS did the tests at seemed to have about 180 children at his sitting so roughly about 2500 candidates in all.
Spot on! 2500 is the figure that Rickmansworth School (who administer the tests) quoted at me regarding last year's tests.
watfordmum66

S W Herts consortium school tests

Post by watfordmum66 »

rough guess is that there will be between 250 -300 places based on academic criteria so if 2500 children sat then there is approx 8 children after every place. No wonder so many do not get first ranked preferance.

ever hopeful :?
WP

Re: S W Herts consortium school tests

Post by WP »

watfordmum66 wrote:rough guess is that there will be between 250 -300 places based on academic criteria so if 2500 children sat then there is approx 8 children after every place. No wonder so many do not get first ranked preference.
But remember that everyone mentioning Queens' or Bushey Meads on their CAF is expected to take the test, and there are quite a few out of county applicants spending one of their 6 preferences on consortium schools as a backup plan.