Late Medway tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Billie

Late Medway tests

Post by Billie »

I have read elsewhere that Medway is enabling a series of late 11+ tests because their grammar schools have a large number of vacancies.

Might help those in Kent who were allocated a school far away/ they did not want.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

As stated on a not to be named website.

If parents wish their child to be considered for a place at a Medway Grammar school with places available, for example Chatham Grammar for Boys and Chatham Grammar for Girls, then they must have passed the Medway test. Any children due to start in year 7 this September, who have not yet taken the Medway test, can apply to our admissions team to sit the test at any point between now and early August. The last testing will take place in mid August for admission in September.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hmmmm I wonder how they will do this....obviously the children sitting the exam in the spring/summer term will have covered more of the curriculum than the ones who sat it in October, so I'm not sure how they will be able to establish a fair standardised score?

Can anybody elighten me? :?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Well here's an off the top of my head answer ...... they will want to fill those school places, so they won't be looking to be absolutely scientfically accurate in making sure that a pass last September is in some way exactly the same as a pass this year.

But it's not as bad as it seems. The scores will be standardised for age in the normal fashion (and the late sitters will be older than if they had taken it in September). So the timing won't matter so much on VR and NVR as they are not school subjects with a "syllabus" to cover. One presumes they won't take people with a standardised score lower than ones who passed in September. More of the maths syllabus will have been covered so this is the paper where late sitters may obtain a pass who would not have passed if they had taken the test in September.

There will have to be an element of first come first served too. So if this second bite of the cherry is popular, waiting until August to sit the test could be a bad idea.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Although Medway do not test on NVR, just Math,English & VR. I agree Perplexed with the reasoning point, but like you say the Math (and English) would surely have improved with most children 6-9 months on in the school year.
That said, I do believe they do need to fill these spaces, it will be a crying shame to have empty places in a GS. I wonder if this problem Medway are faced with will change the procedure for next year's 11 plussers?
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Hi Where have you heard this from?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

reddebs i have sent you a pm.
polly0494

Late Medway test

Post by polly0494 »

In relation to the post regarding late Medway test "Any children due to start in year 7 this September, who have not yet taken the Medway test" -parents could be 'tempted' not to apply for the 11+ in October but to play the waiting game and hope for the possibility of empty places being up for grabs once their child has completed more of the year 6 syllabus.

My concern here is that those of us who are not keen to leave it to chance may have a child who narrowly misses the pass mark. Another child who takes the test late with longer in year 6 to cover the whole range of subjects could then gain a place. Surely come July / August, if there are places available, they should not permit another test date for those who didn't sit the October test as these children have an unfair advantage.
Perhaps it would be more appropriate to allow those within a few marks of the pass mark to do the re-test. What do other parents think and what can we do to question this in an official capacity?[/quote]
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

If I remember correctly, a couple of years ago, Gravesend Grammar for Girls had a similar problem with spaces and opened another test for applicants who had NOT already taken the test.
lacey

Post by lacey »

I am with Polly0494. I think that if the test had been taken the same date last year my daughter would of passed. I think she should have the chance again because I think she would pass. I am not sure how we can go about it.
I am not happy with the school she has been offered because I know she can do better.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now