confused about moving to kent now

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rr

Post by rr »

kent 99

you are right about paper changing every year as i talked to various people there and some told about 4 sections and some 3 sections so even i am not sure how many will come in exam.

My question is just the basic question about nvr sections relating to analogies or cubes or series or code. i think child must know the kind of questions he is practising are coming in exam or not?
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

No, the children don't know.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

in previous years according to what the children have reported, series, analogies and codes have all some up, cubes as far as I know have not, but that doesn;t mean they definitely won't so it is worth practising a few of them.
In Kent state schools they only do a practice test just before the actual test to familiarise them with the format.

I would try the GL assessment papers available from Smiths (make sure they are multiple choice) if you need some additional practice in VR the Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks are near to the Kent format.

Also brush up on basic multiplication tables, square, cube and prime numbers and make sure that they have a good vocabulary.
rr

Post by rr »

yes you are right yoyo

they have to have good vocabulary. my son is lacking in non-verbal analogies and cubes which worries me otherwise he is alright.

i am trying for him to practise as much as he can i think that is important to get exposure to as much questions as possible
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I have found the Bond "How to do NVR" quite useful, it is not an exact match for the Kent test,but does explain quite well.

These books are useful too. They take you through step by step,

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/books/ ... 3D0%23b270

Jigsaws, spot the difference puzzles and computer games like Tetris (which you can download for free if you search online) are all good for training the brain to look at things differently.

There is also a good download from this site
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/ele ... p#overview which gives lots of practice in the different types.

There is a free demo, which is good.
rr

Post by rr »

thanks yoyo

those links are quite helpful

i am wondering how to motivate him to be alert for 3 papers the same day. if maths paper in the end he will be exhausted by the time
katel

Post by katel »

What schools are you interested in? I live in the Canterbury area and am happy to help if you like. Had you though about your options if he doesn't pass?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Try cutting out the cube nets and folding them.
rr

Post by rr »

thanks katel

i really appreciate your help

no not yet . i just spoke to canterbury high school which said about a long waiting list, other than that i am really confused as others ofsted report is not as good as this one.
sp

Post by sp »

There are some benefits to doing all the tests in one day ie getting it all over with rather than having to re-motivate the next day. The children are given a reasonable rest between papers and should have a practise session so they know what to expect. If this does not happen because of your particular circumstances perhaps you could have a mock test day at home a week or so before. Try and create a peaceful space ie without any noise or siblings around and let him do familiar papers to give him confidence.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now