To tutor or not to tutor

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jaffacake

To tutor or not to tutor

Post by Jaffacake »

Hi All,

My son is just about to finish year 4 and he has been attending a tutor for the past 8 months. This is within a group NOT one to one.

Does anyone else's children receive tutoring like this, and has it been beneficial?

I'm not sure if I should just DIY it. It's quite difficult trying to make the right decision. Does anyone know how difficult/easy it is to prepare for the 11+

We have just received his results from optional SATS, and he got 2 4A's and a 4C so we are very pleased.

Also, sorry new to this, what is DD or DS can only think of darling daughter or darling son lol, am I wrong or right.

Thanks in advance
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you were right about DS and DD..

It is not difficult to do preparation, there is a lot of information here. It is quite early on, so you can concentrate on building up vocabulary and mental arithmetic, perhaps a bit nearer the test of you feel your child needs more help from a third party then you can always use a tutor.

I prefer to tutor 1;1 or at the most 1:2 then you can be sure that your tutor will be tailoring the lessons to your child and working on their strengths and weaknesses.
tonup

Post by tonup »

As always depends on the child. Our son is doing his 11+ in September and has no obvious weaknesses. Because of peer pressure and nagging grandparents we sent him to a tutor working with groups of three. He hasn't learned anything so in that respect it has been a waste of money. On the other hand he has been with other pupils from other classes and schools, some labelled 'gifted', and so has been able to compete with them which he has relished.

However had he been less confident and put into a tutor group with children more able and always quicker to the answer than himself, I could see it having a major blow to his self-belief - assuming he cared.

So I guess if the child has no problems and just need practice then group tutoring is probably fine. If he or she has issues or needs support in a particular area then I would avoid group tutoring.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now