Bond books

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
newgal

Bond books

Post by newgal »

Hi. I am very new to all of this so please forgive my ignorance. DS sits Bexley & Kent tests in September and haven't had him tutored but been doing a few Bond practice papers at home (not as many as I would like!). He did the tests that came with the parents book and on his score (in 90s) decided to buy the Fifth papers. My question is...should I have bought the fourth papers instead as the fifth states that it is the level above 11+. I am now worried that he hasn't been practicising right type of questions. Any advice gratefully appreciated.
sp

Post by sp »

There is already a recent discussion going on re Kent/Bexley 11+ tests; you might find some useful stuff there.
kentish maid

Post by kentish maid »

Cant comment on the Bexley tests but 5th bond papers are probably harder than the Kent maths paper if it is a similar standard to last year. Last year they seemed to have taken account of the fact that dc would be taking at the start of Y6. Problem solving and reading the question is key. A lot of people from playground talk made silly errors on the paper which probably cost them more when it was standardised, than if they had made the same no of errors on a much harder paper. You need to work at speed but be accurate and make sure you read the question and answers carefully. Look out for the answer being expressed in a different unit of measurement for example.
newgal

Post by newgal »

Thanks for your replies.

Kentish maid I know what you mean about silly errors - my DS drives me mad with his! Seems to take a bit more care with the harder questions but is careless with the ones I expect him to know. Trying to get him to check his answers when he finishes but it's a struggle.
shuff

Post by shuff »

Ditto kentish maid. My DS was shocked at how manageable the maths was last year compared to the NVR. A lot of kids slipped up on NVR, and looking at scores after, they needed to get less correct to get 140 than in maths. I think about 78% maths and 66% in NVR. VR was about 75%.