Judd School from Medway?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gromme

Post by gromme »

Villagedad. Absolutely agree with you. the admission criteria for Judd/Skinners is appauling. A bright child needs a chance but not at the expense of a local broight child. Last year Folkestone option for Otford pupil was an insult to all West Kent residdents.

I found just recently that Newsteads Wood grammar for girls inOrpington allows candidates within 9 miles radius. So they can sit Orpington test and apply as OOC candidates to Tonbridge girls grammar, which is sensible enough to limit intake of OCC to about 35 candidates. that may be a better compromise (still not ideal) then Judd/Skinners admissions.
mystery

Post by mystery »

That made me smile Villagedad. I was wondering when you would join in on this one to try and scare people off travelling to schools in West Kent.

I think NIMBYism must have started in a school playground in West Kent a generation ago with NIMSYism - Not In My School Yard that is.

Don't worry, I think it is only a minority in West Kent who think like this, but this Kent forum is pretty scary as result for those who make genuine enquiries about the superselective.

I really hope that the boy from K.L. commutes from their just to prove to Villagedad it can be done!!

I remember a while ago a query into this forum from someone who lived in Kent, but went to an out of Kent primary school (shock, horror) asking about the 11+ arrangements for out of county candidates. They had their head bitten off by this NIMSY brigade even though they lived in Kent!!

It's a good job that the 11+ test does not test the parents on logical arguments.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mystery wrote:That made me smile Villagedad. I was wondering when you would join in on this one to try and scare people off travelling to schools in West Kent.

I think NIMBYism must have started in a school playground in West Kent a generation ago with NIMSYism - Not In My School Yard that is.

Don't worry, I think it is only a minority in West Kent who think like this, but this Kent forum is pretty scary as result for those who make genuine enquiries about the superselective.

I really hope that the boy from K.L. commutes from their just to prove to Villagedad it can be done!!

I remember a while ago a query into this forum from someone who lived in Kent, but went to an out of Kent primary school (shock, horror) asking about the 11+ arrangements for out of county candidates. They had their head bitten off by this NIMSY brigade even though they lived in Kent!!

It's a good job that the 11+ test does not test the parents on logical arguments.
Ha-ha, don't worry mystery I do have a sense of humour on this, and can see "both" sides of the discussion !

I think this arguement divides opinion and largely depends how far from the GSs in question you live..

If you live 30 miles from Judd/Skinners but that was the only GS option or you wanted your DS to go there, of course you favour the current admissions criteria because it "suits your situation".

However, if like me and many other parents who live in West Kent you see this as OOC kids potentially taking your childs place, you want to change this!

One last point though which gromme makes above. How fair can it be though that Newstead Wood in Orpington can have one rule (ie a distance criteria) but then people who live in Orpington can sit this (Newstead test) and apply as OOC candidates to Tonbridge girls grammar..? Somethings very wrong...
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't think one's view does depend on your personal situation. It depends on your mindset. I live in a location where I could view OOC children as taking away West Kent places that my children could have. But I don't think that county borders are relevant in school admission policies, especially not for superselectives.

It's similar to whether or not you see people coming into this country from overseas as taking away jobs from the British, or as a valuable addition to the workforce and worthy to compete on similar terms with those born in this country.
gromme

Post by gromme »

This never ending commuting starts to early. It should be part of Year6 curriculum -"Commuting". Then it can be a family competition who commutes longer- Parent or Child
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

gromme wrote:This never ending commuting starts to early. It should be part of Year6 curriculum -"Commuting". Then it can be a family competition who commutes longer- Parent or Child
Agree gromme, seems like mystery is comfortable for 11 years olds to be commuting large distances.. Personally I don't, and also I don't give a hoot about county borders or OOC...

It's about how long it takes to get to school, and I think most parents would agree it is sensible to put a cap on how far a child has to travel / how long it takes to get to school each day!

For example Newstead have put a cap of 9 miles which sounds sensible and fair to me..

Lets leave commuting large distances to the likes of us when we are old enough to make that choice.
Billie

Post by Billie »

I would be interested in where guest_99 got those figures from.
Year 7 at Judd has 4 boys from bromley area as far as I know. I'm not aware of anyone travelling as far as Skinners. Most from Orpington thinking of heading into Kent would be looking at the Wilmington and possibly Dartford schools. For Wilmington I know only certain parts of Orpington can get in on distance and there were less this year than before.
most of those people would love their children to be able to get into St Olave's or newstead however, children pile off the trains from all over South east london and north/west Kent to go there. The competition is incredibly stiff. St Olave's has no catchment /distance provision at all -purely scores -and 9 miles around Orpington for Newstead covers a lot of population.
Whilst I can understand that superselective schools should be local I think it would only work fairly to all if they all apply the same rules.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My daughter goes to a grammar school which is out of our catchment area.

The school in question is approximately 12 miles away and takes a 25 minute bus ride.

Our local schools are approximately 1 1/2 - 2 miles away (they are more or less grouped together - it's a smallish town), to get there would take 20 minutes through congested traffic.

It's all relative!
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

Wow villagedad, forgive the rest of us for daring to breathe! Actually, I do realise Tonbridge is too far a journey. It's a thought I've had a few times then dismissed - and anyway we have a very good GS close by, you're welcome to try it if you like!

Of course, I was having a moment of madness. I couldn't face DS running the gauntlet of pitchfork-weilding West Kent folk at the border posts every day!

Incidentally, I pay my taxes like everyone else and don't see why I can't consider sending my child to any school for which he meets the criteria, if it's possible to get there.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I realise this is an emotional subject for many of us but please think before posting. A healthy debate is good but lets not make it personal guys.
Thanks.
Medwaymum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now